Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
upnorth

Gov Palin's email hacked

11 posts in this topic

And we wonder why we don't get the best and the brightest as political candidates. We only get those who are foolish willing to subject themselves to this type of stuff to gain office. I hope the fools that do this get the book through at them. I it no different that stealing and reading someones mail, a Federal Offense.

Quote:
Group Posts E-Mail Hacked From Palin Account -- Update

By Kim Zetter EmailSeptember 17, 2008 | 12:50:57 PMCategories: Election '08, Hacks and Cracks

Vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin's private Yahoo e-mail account was hacked, and some of its contents posted on the internet Wednesday.

The internet griefers known as Anonymous took credit for the intrusion, and screenshots of e-mail messages and photos belonging to the Alaska governor have been published by WikiLeaks. Threat Level has confirmed the authenticity of at least one of the e-mails.

"This is a shocking invasion of the Governor's privacy and a violation of law," Rick Davis, McCain-Palin campaign manager said in a statement. "The matter has been turned over to the appropriate authorities and we hope that anyone in possession of these e-mails will destroy them. We will have no further comment."

FBI spokesman Brian Hale said, "The FBI is aware of the alleged hacking incident involving Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and is coordinating with the United States Secret Service on the matter."

Palin_560x_2

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was tapped by Senator John McCain to be his vice-presidential running mate.

Photo: Associated Press/Al Grillo

The cache of stolen data contains five screenshots from Palin's account, including the text of an e-mail exchange with Alaska Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell about his campaign for Congress.

Another screenshot shows Palin's inbox and a third shows the text of an e-mail from Amy McCorkell, whom Palin appointed to the Governor's Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse in 2007.

The e-mail, a message of support to Palin, tells her not to let negative press get to her and asks Palin to pray for McCorkell, who writes that "I need strength to 1. keep employment, 2. not have to choose."

McCorkell, reached at her office, confirmed that she did send the e-mail to Palin. McCorkell later called and said the FBI has been in touch with her about this investigation.

A fourth screenshot shows an e-mail sent to Ivy Frye, a Palin aide, from someone claiming to belong to the group Anonymous advising that the person has changed the password to Palin's Yahoo account to prevent other members of Anonymous from accessing it again. The e-mail includes the new password.

The data posted by WikiLeaks also includes a list of Palin's e-mail contacts and two photos of her children.

I agree with you on the severity of the offense, but I do wonder if it is true that Governor Palin was using a Yahoo account for state business and if true why.

Big Tom did you know shes under investigation for hiding govt. dealings (Not using recorded govt. emails)But a private email add.Supposed to be hiding whatever,theres a court process ongoing to get her to release these.

All this started before she was nominated.WOW How many investigations is she undergoing??

But a private email add(ress)Supposed to be hiding whatever,theres a court process ongoing to get her to release these.

Whereas I don't know if this is true, it does make sense. Yahoo, AOL and other public servers are hacked daily as the security is feeble at best.

It could be that she just didn't want her personal email not part of Govt record. I very rarely use my business account for personal use, I also tell all of our email users(I administer our email domain) don't use this account for anything you don't want people to have access to as the account is owned by the organization and we can access it at any time.

Anyway you look at it she should not be required to use her govt issued account for anything that is not direct govt business. From what I did see the emails looked to be of a personal nature and not direct govt business.

Anyway you look at it she should not be required to use her govt issued account for anything that is not direct govt business. From what I did see the emails looked to be of a personal nature and not direct govt business.

I agree and sorry I wasn't more clear. I had seen reports that she was using her Yahoo account for Government business, not the reverse.

As the adage says, never email anything you're not comfortable with the world seeing.

The issue I originally posted about was in these times what candidate is subjected to and why we don't get the best to run for office anymore. Who wants that kind of attention? Politics has really got to be a dirty slug fest and it isn't always just the politicians, but many times their followers or others who just want to do a little rabble rousing.

It used to be they would try to get out to the public what they stand for and what they were going to do for the public, now is all about slandering and degrading the other candidate. Politics is getting to be a real ugly thing. Just look here how many times discussions have escalated to name calling and how ugly that gets. Not pretty and not productive.

I hear ya. Read through the political threads on this site and you get a good example.

For the most part, the threads are nothing more than blaming such and such party for our ills.

Don't get me wrong, there's a benefit to hearing about some of the candidate's blunders or less than honorable behavior but it seems we dwell so much on these that we don't have a clue about what they CAN do for us or at least will try to do.

I'm just glad none of us has to endure such probing when we apply for a job. Imagine the dirt that could be found if someone really wanted to find it.

Bob

Quote:
I'm just glad none of us has to endure such probing when we apply for a job. Imagine the dirt that could be found if someone really wanted to find it.

You don't want to know blush