• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slugs for deer?

BradT

I usually shot a 30-06 rifle, but I got permission to hunt some property and it's a shot gun zone. I have a Benelli Nova and I can't seem to find a slug barrel for it. I've heard that I can't shoot sabbot slugs without a slug barrel, right? so my question is: What's the best choke to use with the non-sabbot slugs? and is there a perfered grain weight for 50 to 75 yards? That's about all the further I can see in the woods I'll be hunting. Any info would be very helpful, Thanks

You should be able to use your benelli smoothbore. If I was still shooting a smooth bore barrel, I'd look at the Brenneke model for smoothbore. I'd also take a look at the new Federals with the truball. They look innovative, and might be fine. the biggest thing is to buy a box of 3 or 4 different brands and experiment. As for chokes, I always used a modified choke, but I would think that you could use IC also, I'm not sure on it, I haven't shot a smooth bore in a long time. Also, to buy a rifled barrel for the nova will cost as much as the nova itself. You would be better off buying a new gun set up for slug hunting with a rifled barrel if you decide to really get into it. They are awesome.

If you can change chokes on your Nova you can shoot sabots if you get a rifled choke. Otherwise just put your IC choke in and find what shoots best out of it. Tru-balls are good, or even just get some el-cheapo's and shoot them.

Froggy

hey BradT I was in Fargo a few weeks ago in Sportmans Whse and seen they had a few slug barrels for the Benelli Nova for only $400. I think you can buy a decent slug gun for that or less. or even another Nova. I think if you are gonna get a rifled barrel go with an aftermarket brand and save a few dollars. Good luck

Yeah, I went to Sportsman's in st.cloud, $419.99 for just the barrel!!!! OUCH! I only paid like $300 for the whole gun. So I just bought some slugs for smooth bore, I got 2 boxes of those Benneke KO's (spelling?), I was told they're pretty good, and just figured I try'em. Now I just have to get to the range and see if I can hit anything.

I've used the Brenneke KO's and they are very good. When I was using a smoothbore, I was able to get 2" groups at 50yrds. They've also drop every deer, I shot with them dead in their tracks. I was using a C choke.

Slugs guns are very picky on what slug they like. I've seen the exact same setup, like 2 totally different slugs. My uncle's 870 smoothbore likes Federal Truball's, while my buddies 870 likes Remington sluggers. Like everyone else has stated, grab a couple of boxes each and see what the gun likes best.