• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aging your venison before you rocess it?

KG243

First, the muscles go into rigor mortis, a stiffening lasting at most 24 hours. Butchering a deer during rigor mortis is one of the worst things you can do. It can cause a phenomenon called shortening, where the muscles contract and remain tougher than if butchering took place a day later.

I found this to be true. The times I've had to butcher soon after taking the animal because of the weather, the meat gets very tough. Now I will quarter the deer and put into a refridgerator for a day or two.

We have always shot deer during the weekend and skun em, bone em, and package em within two days of the kill. This is if the temp stays cool enough. It is also kind of fun to do this and i enjoy a little more "bonding" time. Anyways, everyone has their own way of doing it I see. Good luck

We do 8-10 deer per year this way, and never "cut" our ground with pork or beef.

I've always wondered why people would want to take a nice lean pound of burger and add a bunch of fat to it!!! Most of my deer goto a butcher shop and they always ask, I can just imagine them putting big chunks of lard in with the venison trimmings - yuck!!

Originally Posted By: jnelson
We do 8-10 deer per year this way, and never "cut" our ground with pork or beef.

I've always wondered why people would want to take a nice lean pound of burger and add a bunch of fat to it!!! Most of my deer goto a butcher shop and they always ask, I can just imagine them putting big chunks of lard in with the venison trimmings - yuck!!

Beef and pork fat, unlike venison fat, actually impart good flavor. But I agree, throwing in all that extra fat isn't needed. That is, unless they use poorer cuts, or worse, are less careful with their venison and need to "hide" certain flavors with certain other flavors. Same thing with overly peppered or spiced venison products. Makes me wonder what they're hiding. smile

Seems like there are many different opinions on this topic but here's mine from experience:

When possible I let my deer age for up to about 2 weeks, I've even gone longer. I have definately noticed a difference in the tenderness with aging. Of course the most important thing is you need the right conditions. I accomplish this by opening and closing the garage door with day and night temps to keep them in mid 30's, of course with outside weather cooperating. By doing this I'm usually able to peel the backstraps right out after starting them with a knife they are so tender. In fact I usually wait to fill my doe tag until it's late enough in the season and with favorable weather conditions to accomplish this.

If I shoot a deer early in the season I will usually quarter it out and let it sit in the fridge a couple days to get past that first rigor mortis stage. Ever notice how tough those nice tenderloins are if you cut them out right after shooting a deer and fry them up. Try waiting a day before doing this and there is no comparison.