• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

overseed or fertilize??

SJB

I am wondering at this time of year am i better off fertilizing or overseeding my yard. I have some spots in my lawn that are very thin, and most of it is thin. Which would i be better of doing? feeding the existing grass or trying to thicken up the lawn?

Both. I aerate, overseed, and fertilize. For some thin areas I score up the soil, add a bit more seed, some starter fertilizer, and then cover with a thin layer of top soil. It takes about 7-10 days for the seed to germinate and it will grow for another month or so yet. The weather this week has been fantastic.

Watch the individual products you buy. Some of those fertilizer/weed products are not to be used within 60-90 days of re-seeding. Each one will have its own issues so read the label on the individual product to make sure its ok. If you get a product thats not going to burn out your grass seed go for both.

Personally, I'd just lay on the seed and hit it with a light layer of 1-1-1 starter fertilizer.

I think you want the fertilizer to have a nitrogen number below 13 to prevent burnin' out the seed. It's the middle number I believe. I aerated, dethatched, raked, mowed it short and fertilized right before I seeded. Then watered the heck out of it. So far so good.