Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moe Szyslak

SEC bans short-selling

7 posts in this topic

WASHINGTON - The Securities and Exchange Commission took the dramatic step early Friday of temporarily banning the routine practice of betting against company stocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The move, announced on the agency's Web site, may well be unprecedented and a reflection of regulators' concern about the widening scope of the financial crisis as entreaties come from all quarters to stem a swarm of short-selling.

In the announcement, the commission said it was acting in concert with the U.K. Financial Services Authority in taking emergency action to "prohibit short selling in financial companies" to protect the integrity of the securities market and boost investor confidence.

"The commission is committed to using every weapon in its arsenal to combat market manipulation that threatens investors and capital markets," SEC chairman Christopher Cox said in a statement. "The emergency order temporarily banning short-selling of financial stocks will restore equilibrium to markets."

The move, he said, would not be necessary in a well-functioning market and is only a temporary step that is part of the actions being taken by the Federal Reserve, the Treasury and Congress.

A recent wave of the market maneuvers — where traders seek to profit by selling unowned shares of companies in the anticipation their prices will drop — has been blamed in part for the demise of venerable investment firm Lehman Brothers and other big companies.

Cox, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke held a closed-door meeting Thursday night with members of Congress.

The SEC said its action calls a time-out to aggressive short-selling in financial stocks and said it would consider measures to address short-selling in other publicly traded companies.

Short-selling, in a normal market, contributes to efficiency while adding liquidity to the markets. But now, the SEC said, it appears that "unbridled" short-selling was contributing to the sudden price declines in the securities of financial institutions.

On Wednesday, New York Sens. Charles Schumer and Hillary Clinton, both Democrats, appealed to the SEC for such a temporary ban, saying the watchdog agency "has the power to take a temporary but important step to help restore a measure of stability to our financial markets."

The California Public Employees' Retirement System, the nation's largest pension fund, said that starting Thursday it is no longer lending out shares of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Morgan Stanley, joining a growing number of public pension funds that are attempting to curb short-selling of two investment banks' stocks.

Wow is about all I can say. Guess I wont be playing the market for a while!

Wow is about all I can say. Guess I wont be playing the market for a while!

Doesn't this only affect those who buy short? If that's your strategy then yes, you'll be on the sidelines for a while. If you're an investor buying stock under the guise of holding that stock for a while, then you can still play.

The day's before of the 9/11 attack a lot of terrorist bought short on airlines stock and made a ton of money selling their short options on 9/12 which prompted Wall street to suspend all trading.

You sell short. You sell a position without actually owning that position in hopes that the position falls. Then you buy the position at a lower price and settle the transaction.

Most average investors have or probably will never short a stock.

Much of the volatility, especially late day, has been blamed on the short sellers. (rightfully so?, maybe)

I think banning "shorts" and especially "naked shorts" was a good move. To many big investors making a lot of money at the expense of others.

I ask why was this allowed in the first place? Why do people insist on playing games with the market? IMHO if markets, taxes, and finances were kept as simple and transparent as posible we will avoid such large rises and dips in the economy. The economy will go up and down but with less severity and frequency. And the common man will be able to uderstand a companies real value and the govts real value. Right now you never know until it is too late.

Same here, I think its a great move. I thought most companies goal was to raise their stock? Short selling is betting against market trends, increasing speculation, and overall degrading our market value. JMO