Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarryG

Portable TV????

3 posts in this topic

I am attempting to bring my 42" LCD TV, to a tailgate party. I can get an additional dish, but I have a few questions. I know many guys use them on the Ice House, so I thought this would be a good place to ask a few questions.

Power? Do I need a pure sine inverter or will a regular one work? How many watts?

How hard is it to adjust a HD satellite dish?

Is there anything I am forgetting?

I know this is the right spot for this question.

Thanks

HarryG

Don't forget the receiver to go with the dish. wink I wouldn't think you will have a hard time getting signal as long as you have an open view of the southern sky.

It can be done, but a couple of things. To make it easiest, make sure you have a stable and vertical mount (post) to put the dish on when at the fish house. Don't assume the ice is flat and level, it maybe, but it also can be off enough to make a difference. When we had a dish at out house, we had to make little adjustments all the time.

Second, when you get the spare dish, set it up for the correct angle and skew by matching it to one at your house. When you get to the lake, this should be close enough to get the signal when pointed the correct direction, but then you'll likely have to lower the angle a touch (assuming you're going farther north than the dish you match angles to).

As for power, you'll just have to try the inverter and see if you have interference. I've not done it with a flat screen, but with a tube type Tv they require almost 10 times the rated wattage at start up so you need a 400 watt inverter for a 50 - 60 watt tv. Maybe someone else knows if the lcd/plasmas need more or just rated.

Hope that helps, enjoy the game!!