Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

Cooper

11 posts in this topic

I believe this is a juvenile Coopers Hawk. If not, let me know. I stalked him thru tall weeds, and still couldn't get real close. However, it's another new one for me.

2868613002_e8dcc77d40_o.jpg

2868613114_299d279ecb_o.jpg

2867779887_0c45017b5c_o.jpg

Rats, Steve beat me to it. I don't know that many birds, but I knew it wasn't Coopers hawk. Heck, I didn't know what kind it is till I read Steve's reply on what it is. grin

Love the 3rd shot! Looks really good, Mike! It's almost as if it's related to owl, because of it's face and eyes. You know what I mean?

Great shots XT! I also really like the last shot. It's a very nice environmental!

Hey, at least I got the juvenile part right. wink Female, correct? I was afraid I might be wrong. The colors of the beak and eyes wasn't the same, but it was the closest I could find. Now, when I've been corrected, I can find other photos online of the harrier that perfectly match mine. Thanks Steve.

Very nice, X. I love the HIF shot.

It could be either sex, X. Hey, that rhymes! gringrin

The plumage between juvie males and females is enough the same that it's chancy trying to tell them apart. At close range, juvie males have yellow or gray eyes, juvie females dark brown eyes.

These eyes look dark brown in the second image but it's tough for me to tell on the monitor. You'd likely be able to zoom in on the original and tell.

According to the Cornell HSOforum, males have gray backs and females have brown backs. That's all I have to go by. Although, this bird does have brown eyes.

Bummer, eh? You've got a gray-backed bird with brown eyes. Male? Female? gringrin