• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To palm or not to palm?

setterguy

My fishing partner asked me the other day why I palm my muskie reels when on the retrieve instead of using the grip on the rod itself. I guessed I never really noticed, its just the way I've always done it. I did try using the grip and now after 10 years of fishing it feels awkward to say the least, and for me caused more hand fatigue. After talking with some others it seems its about 50/50 palm to grip. So witch one are you? Is there any good reason to do one over the other?

I palm it. Grabbing just the trigger puts way more pressre on my hand it seems and also less control.

However, I see some guys, especially muskie guys from older videos, holding the rod by the foregrip. I've messed around with that a couple times, and it seems like it is less tiring on the hand when retrieving larger lures or on fast retrieves, especially since I have smaller hands. I'd be interested to hear from the guys that do this, and why? and how they transition into figure eights?

Put me down for palming. Just feels more natural and I think i have better control of the rod.

Same goes for me... I use Pro Edge rods... and palming them with the thick cork handle doesnt feel any different than those store bought rods with thin handles... Just the difference in comfort while casting is all...

I did try the foregrip and didnt like it at all... it didnt feel comfortable... out of place... harder to control the rod especially while figure-8ing...

I'm mostly a palmer, but lately I have been using the foregrip for some instances (big blades on my Torium, RIPPING rubber/cranks, etc).

I generally switch it up during the day. using the foregrip for awhile can really take the strain off your hands and lessens fatigue.

Transitioning to the figure 8 is the same as with palming. I'm not a freespool guy in the figure 8, so that is not an issue for me.

I palm all my reels. Balances the rod. More leverage for hooksets and fighting fish. I've even gotten used to palming a shimano 700 TE, although I gotta admit, it is pretty fatiguing.

It definitely helps to mix it up with different reels and different baits. I keep an arsenal handy, from the Revo, to the Record, to the 7000, to the 700 TE. Big spinning reel is even nice once in awhile, and they work fine. Lots of dudes catching bigger fish than muskies in the ocean, and spinning gear is pretty standard for inshore fishing down there. They way my arms are feeling today, makes me think I should use them more!

Since this partner is me, I must confess...I don't palm.. The rod grip with one finger on the blank is usually the way I roll...Palming the reel makes my hand tired. This argument makes about as much sense as pointer vs flusher.... Now I'm a pointer guy but because I'm in the minority in this state.....Does that make me wrong?....Fishing bass, I will palm my reel, thats cause the reels are low profile and fit in the hand.....the 7000....not so much..maybe I have small hands like Daunte, or maybe I'm just an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly.....but I still like pointers and I still don't palm....uplander....ps. maybe my parner should change his name to I'llproveyouwrongguy......lol

I'm a foregrip guy, even with the lo-pro bass reels when I'm bass fishing. I'm not one like many that switches hands...I cast left handed and reel right, so no switch for me. Casting while palming doesn't feel right for me.

Like muskiemojo said, I do switch it up a bit. For me, it's more switching a combo, different feel & reel, weight, and handle. Most my rods are KT Pro Edge with the thicker cork, so if I switch to a standard handle it changes up my grip and muscles used a bit.