• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calling and Rattling Schedule in MN

stick

I'm new to archery-hunting this year after rifle hunting my whole life. What are typical calendar schedules for when to begin calling and/or rattling? Just curious if it's too early and if so, when to begin?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Might be a little early, the absolute best time for aggressive tactics is the pre-rut period, there is a window of about 5-7 days where rattling and calling can work, still it can be hit or miss, but all it takes is the right timing. If I had to guess, this year that window should fall in the time period from around Halloween to gun opener. When the bucks start to chase the does, but the does aren't receptive is when you can take advantage of the agression of the bucks. I will also say that the higher the buck to doe ratio, the better luck you will have....either way you just never know. I have called in a few smaller bucks with the "can" and grunting, so that can be a good combo as well.

It's going to be an interesting year for calling and rattling this year in my area.

We have: Bucks that have already shed their velvet

Bucks that are still in velvet but are done growing and ready to shed their velvet.

Bucks that are still in velvet and still growing.

Really strange!

I would say anytime two weeks before and after Nov. 1 would be prime time. But it could work at any time, try it. Last year I rattled in and shot a 9 point buck on Oct. 15. He didn't come charging in but I think he was curious. Was it the rattling and grunting that brought him in?? I don't know, but I had been watching him for 45 minutes and finally he came walking right by my stand after I'd been making some racket rattling and grunting.

i don't step a foot into the woods without a grunt or rattle bag...ever.

i'm about on the same page as what slim said.

i've "tickled" bucks in on opening day many times just slight rolling my rattle bag to make it sound like some bucks are just playing around...i've also grunted in bucks on opening day...so its never to early.

you just have to think of whats going on in real life in the deer woods and mimic that...bucks are out there right now sparring and calling to each other...but they aren't aggressive and fighting so you don't want to go out there banging the horns like never before yet.

i really start getting after the bucks about last week of oct...thats when i'll start full out rattling, grunting and even snort wheezing....thats about when the testostorone really starts to build up and they start searchin around a bit and if bucks cross eachothers path then they will fight.

i shot my biggest P&Y buck by rattling and snort wheezing on oct. 24th so if it worked once it can work again..from about that day until gun opener i basically live in the woods with my bow lol...my favorite time to hunt without a doubt.

some years are different then others..just depends how deep into it you are...weather plays a factor...maybe the moon phase, ect..but right around when i said is when i turn hardcore lol...good luck

I start actively using my calls after mid-October. If the situation is right, I'll use them before that, sparingly, if I see a deer I want to try and bring in closer. I've never had any luck rattling around here, but haven't tried it much. I'm a firm believer in the Primos can call and a grunt tube.

Brian

The buck that I shot this year came in after two other bucks were doing some light sparring. I think he was curious, as he came right in and took on the winner of round 1. I will also agree that doe and even fawn bleats will work well this time of year. But I would use it only with deer out of distance to see if you can pull them in.

yeah i have many times...on opening morning a couple years ago i had a 7 pointer walk right under my tree and he grunted a few times.

i didn't want to shoot him cause it was opening day and i like to save my buck tag for a monster...but i grunted just for the fun of it and he came right back to my tree and looked around and gave out a grunt...then he walked right back where he was heading so i grunted again and brought him right back to my tree.

so i had to do it...i ended up lettin the muzzy take care of business....he was a cool buck though...still had a reddish coat and half his rack still had velvet.

i've called alot of bucks in early season...mainly when i see them and they are going a different direction so i grunt just to see if it works...and a few times i've just randomly called because of boredom and have brought bucks in before.

i like to grunt a couple times in different tones when i lightly rattle my rattle bag also early season.

bucks are either still in their groups or are just starting to split up during early bow hunting...they communicate throughout summer and start to spar as soon as they shed their velvet.

when u grunt and lightly rattle early season u make a buck think some of his buddies are over there lol...they won't be buddies for much longer but they are for a little bit.

Opening morning I had a yearly buck maybe a button buck but it was grunting a couple times to locate his mother or just to communicate with the other deer he was with. So I would say yes deer do grunt but this time of year it might be more for just "hey were are you" versus I'm horning and looking for a hot doe.

mr

Hello all, I was out on Wednesday night and had a doe coming through the woods grunting the entire way. She went pass me and into a CRP field. I gave a little fawn bleat and she came running back to me and I kept her around for about 30 minutes. She was a nice doe and when I made the decision to take her she never gave me a good shot. I just had to remember there is a lot of time left smile Enjoy the weekend..

I guess I've just never heard a buck grunt early, so that's why I mainly keep quiet until the 2nd/3rd week of Oct. Then it's still just some light rattling. I did however grunt at a 6 pointer on opener last week. Just to see his reaction. Turned and looked back, then kept on his way unalarmed.