• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your new starting QB: Gus Frerotte

gopher_nation

Just announced on KFAN, PA and Dubay!! Usually a secret move, but the announcement on a Wednesday is probably to spark some fan interest into buying the 3,700 unsold tickets. The actual switch at QB is to obviously give us a chance to win.

Well it has me excited now!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I think Gus will give us a little better chance at winning than TJack, I still don't think he's the answer. If anything, I think with Gus' increased down-field accuracy as compared to TJack's, maybe the offense can stretch the opposing D a little so that AP can be more effective than he already is. The opposing defenses need to be put back on their heals a little bit and right now, they've got their ears pinned back ready to attack the line and AP. Of course, stretching the D also depends on the play calling as well.

Surprised at Chilli's move, but the Vikes need to start all over at the qb and head coach positions and hopefully they (they being Ziggy) will after the season's over.

Gus is not the answer, but is better than T-Jack for now.

This will not open up the playbook for Chilly though.

I wish all the sofa-coaches would actually get a coaching job once and see what it is like.

How many teams nearly made the playoffs (last year) with a terrible QB?

Gus is not the answer, but is better than T-Jack for now.

This will not open up the playbook for Chilly though.

I wish all the sofa-coaches would actually get a coaching job once and see what it is like.

How do you know he'll be better than TJack? He's 37 years old, thrown 102td's and 91 int's in his career. At least TJack was a mobile QB, Gus doesn't move that well and probably will be sacked more often. There will be some 2nd guessing if Gus doesn't do well....."Why didn't they give TJack at least 6 starts?"

There are a lot of people that have coached at all levels...high school, college, pro's etc.. that have failed miserably, so take it easy on your fellow Vikings posters. They have a right to their opinions as well. wink

I agree with everyone that says the plays need to be changed up a bit.

Here’s is why I think Gus will give them better chance. I think he will be a bit more composed and confident in the pocket, find the open receiver, and then give the receiver a chance to catch the ball.

TJ did this as well, but I think Gus will be more consistent.

Also Gus knows he can’t just take off scrambling if things break down, so he has to be more patient and let things develop.

It will be interesting and at the very least sparked my interest to check out the game on Sunday.

You better hope you can watch it, or you will have to go to it. At last report not sold out, therefore, can you say BLACKOUT.

There are opinions back and forth on this. Time will tell. I like it as T-Jack would be better suited for the indoor league, IMO. I also think Gus can read defenses better than T Jack.

G.C

No, but I have been to games and saw people open down field...waving their arms...and T-Jack not seeing them. Only seeing the short pass. And, he completion % is not even that high on the short pass. Also, you can't pass the bomb without pass protection. T-Jack needs to much time for it appears he can't see the whole field.

And, he has a year to develop as a starter. No improvements that I see (or slight). If Gus is bad (and could be), he may be back. The Vikes have to give it a try though.

Every thinks they can do better than the coach. Maybe because they know they can't do better than a pro player. Many times, a coach is only as good as their team. And, I thought T-Jack was our answer...even before this season started. But after games 1 and 2 and all of last year...I have changed my mind. I think Chilly is in the same boat.

If Gus does bad, people will scream "See, it is the coach". Well, Gus is not the answer either...but they have to try something.

I take it your an NFL QB? since your making judgements on NFL QB's on here?

Not sure who that was directed at, but if it was me, that was funny.

I really don't need to judge T-Jack, I leave that to the hundreds of Division 1 programs that wouldn't let him play for them grin

Thing is Gus isn't going to go out and throw for 300 yards. He's not going to be an amazing QB. AP and our defense are going to win the games for us, but most importantly Gus wont go out and lose the game for us.

He's a veteran that will bring some change to the locker room. I'm sure there is some tension between the offense and defense and hopefully the veteran can help ease it.

I'm sure Zygi had quite a bit to do with the announcement. He went out and got the players that Chilly needed in order to win games. He spent a lot of money and so far there is nothing to show for it. Probably something like, "Your guy TJack isn't getting it done. Fix it or you're done!!"

Gus is going to get smeared all over the field. I am not so sure he will be able to find the open receiver from the hospital bed with the way our o-lines protects against the pass rush and him having no mobility whatsoever. Childress is another Les Steckel put him out of his misery.

i think you are missing part of my point. Childress is the one who has been saying all along how well jackson is coming along. if hes coming along than let go of the reigns and let him chuck the ball. if he isnt coming along, then why did we bring Gus in and not someone else? either way you look at it, whether its play calling, false confidence in Jackson leading the team to not bring someone else in, poor judgement on talent evaluation, it all comes full circle and points and Childress. no QB in the league succeeds when 2 plays are called 90% of the time in a 2nd half. you don't win by just calling dive up the middle or rollout right. you couldnt make things easier on a defense. when myself and the people around me are sitting in the dome watching the colts game and guessing what the vikings plays are going to be based on formation at about a 90% clip, what do you think defensive coordinators calling out defensive plays are thinking? Point in case, a sequence in the 2nd half of that game. 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down and 5 line up with 2 TE's and Wade the single reciever. The play call is a naked bootleg to the right which goes for 1 yard. Who is this fooling??!! The defense is not playing run at this point, the fake isnt doing any good!! This is a play you run on 1st or 2nd down when the defense is dialing up on AP. This is not rocket science and its not something you need to be a head coach to figure out. Its just plain horrible.