• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone successul yet??

splakeshaker

I agree with Stratosman. Right now is the October slump. The bucks seem to go underground for the next 2-3 weeks. Once the corn gets picked and the prerut starts, the deer start moving again. Thats why last Saturday was disappointing, if someone hadn't shot that .22, he might have followed the same path as the two baskets and been hanging in my shed right now. Still good to see the two small bucks walk by without a care in the world. One had a nice high rack, the other was perfect basket.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job guys, season started great for me with easy pass shots on deer I didn't want to shoot the first two outings, then screwed up & missed a doe my third time. Been out 4-5 times since then & have one long distance sighting to show for it. Seems like the nights I can go the wind's not right for the spots that should be good right now or it's pouring. That's why they call it hunting I guess.

I've got 2 Bemans in my quiver right now that have a combined 5 deer on their resume. I've refletched both a time or 2, but they still fly as true as ever. The only carbons I've had to retire, were the robin hoods and the, "I wish I had a range finder", shot I took at a nice gobbler last fall. It's amazing how quickly a turkey can shoot straight up in the air when you clip his toenails with a muzzy.

Friday night Beman #2 carved another notch in his fletching. I was a little worried about him, as I was shooting down at a doe about 7 paces from my tree. But alas, he punched a lung, clipped the heart and shook off his collision with the ground underneath her. I put new blades in his Muzzy, and he'll be looking for lucky number seven this weekend.

46 lbs. of freshly cut, trimmed and vacuum packed venison sure makes a freezer look right. Yes, it was a tasty little yearling.

I lost my favorite a/c/c Saturday as its third doe rolled over on it. frown. Not third for this year but second anyway.

So, two in the cooler so far - after 3 hours of hunting between two sits. The average is definately up this year.

Sunday however, I saw the coolest little buck. He had somewhere in the 8 inch range spikes with brow tines. Not a forkhorn - brow tines - with alot of little sticker junk on his fairly stout bases for his age.

I hope to watch him grow into something spectacular.

We didn't see any scrape activity in the SE part of the state over the weekend but my buddy did witness an 8 pointer doggin a doe for a while and a couple 6's do some sparring.

I got to stick my first Fort McCoy Wisconsin doe on thursday night at about 5:45 and the rage did it's job. The shot was a nice center punched double lung shot at 15yds and she went about 60 and it was game over. It was nice to get another one under the belt she was a nice dried up doe. Pics are on other post

Was out Saturday night. Got a good stand and been letting it sit and finally hunted it. Was on the stand for 30 minutes when heard crashing in the woods. Look over two bucks running to me. Grabbed the bow got ready looked at rack's. First one was a 2x2 and he kept running bye and the back one was bigger. It stopped BELOW me and it was 3x3. Counted him 3-4 times because I told myself I want an 8 and no matter how many times I counted could not get more then 6. Watched him for a little bit then finally he took off. Was fun though.

Well finally got some steaks for the freezer. A nice tender doe. I have been seeing a ton of deer hitting this isolated green field of about 10 acres. This was my fourth sit on this field and including tonight I have seen at least 30 deer on it. All out of range until tonight a doe walks by at 20 yards at 6:00. Montec found its mark, she ran about 10 yards, walked about 10 yards and dropped dead, never knew what hit her! No dragging required. Time to fish for a couple weeks and then chase the big boys!

Finally shot a doe Tuesday night. Shot her at about 25 yards & she went maybe 75 before piling up. Must have been about 10 seconds from shot to drop. Couldn't see her, but was sure she'd piled up.

I saw plenty of deer tonight and one coyote. The wind shifted on me and I was getting made out. Nothing blew at me, but the noses were in the air. I saw one small buck right away about 50 yards out and I did have 3 bucks walk, er ran, by. Two of them were sparring about 20 yards from me, very cool. A fifth buck came in with a set of twins and a doe. For the bucks, the score was 1 fork, 3 basket sixes, and one 8 at the ears, but only about 2 years old. He's still got a lot of growing yet to do, but he gave me a nice broadside shot at 15 yards. Started to rain just before dark, woods got loud so I bolted, didn't want to be forced with a tough decision if a nice buck came by. Also, grunted tonight, thinking that brought some in, I haven't seen anything mature for over a week. Its the quiet before the storm... that is the rut.

Good night on stand Trig... I haven't had good buck action like that since last fall. Maybe this weekend although I doubt it with temps warming back up and rain forecasted all weekend long. We'll see. If nothing else hopefully I can post some more trail cam pics. Good luck gentleman... ladies too grin

Yeah. I don't really want to shoot a doe right now because that would be it for me in this area. I'll hold off. For now.

I did find some excellent sign last night and what I think is a good staging area.

Winds were swirling last night which didn't help. Did a little light grunting. Still confident I'll get a good opportunity.

Shot a little buck last Thursday night. Just wanted to give everyone a little help on tracking on a not so perfect hit. My shot was farther back then I would like but it was really quartering away from me. So I knew it was a dead deer just that it was going to take a little longer to expire. I waited a little over 2 hours to track it. Started tracking very slowly found lots of blood but soon found the deer still alive but breathing very harshly. Backed out as slowly as possible but heard the deer get up and move, but it didn't seem to move far. Gave it another half hour and went back in, and found the deer expired no more then 80 yards from the where it was originally shot. I really believe if I would have pressured this deer by tracking it right away it maybe would not have had a good outcome. And it would have been a lot tougher tracking. Just my 2 cents to take your time on a not so perfect hit. FYI: the arrow came out on the opposite side about 4 inches behind the front leg.