• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone successul yet??

splakeshaker

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been bow hunting pretty big time. Just bought a bow this winter and tried to train myself. Got a nice doe Saturday morning. Cleaned her up last night and got 35.5 lbs of good meat off of her. I was impressed. Was hoping for a buck but a doe at 22 yds broadside on flat ground was too tempting.

Finally made it out over the weekend... sure felt good to be on stand again. Passed on a young 6pt & yearling doe at 8 yds... both pretty small. Anyone else been noticing an abundance of does without fawns? I've heard a few similar reports across the state... interesting. We could use a good hard frost to knock down some more foliage though. The maples are about peak foliage... gorgeous.

Yeah it's been awhile... I'm a proud new homeowner and it sure does keep a guy busy... it's our busy season at work as well so that hasn't helped things either. But I'm back and trying to get caught up... glad to see some of you having some early season success. One of main goals for this season other than taking a mature buck is in getting my fiance out and getting her her first deer. She doesn't want to shoot the girls though... only the boy deer so it'll be interesting! lol. Shoot straight

stick

Yeah it's been awhile... I'm a proud new homeowner and it sure does keep a guy busy... it's our busy season at work as well so that hasn't helped things either. But I'm back and trying to get caught up... glad to see some of you having some early season success. One of main goals for this season other than taking a mature buck is in getting my fiance out and getting her her first deer. She doesn't want to shoot the girls though... only the boy deer so it'll be interesting! lol. Shoot straight

stick

Congrats on your new house and soon to be wife and good luck to you and her first deer kill.

mr

Seemed like an excellent weekend to be out. I'm thinking some of you took some venison home.

I finally made it out to my stand tonight for the first time. I only got to hunt for an hour and a half though. The rest of the night was spent guttin and draggin. grin

Just a year and half old but I call them the "perfect" does anyway. We've been craving some fresh venison around here so she'll do nicely.

After taking a couple deer when I first got into archery, I held off on everything waiting for that trophy. Well, 2 seasons ago I had my chance and blew it. I decided I should start taking some does to get comfortable again and build confidence but last year I could only get drawn back twice with no shot to take.

With more practice this year, and the new sight, the 20 yard shot was terribly easy. grin I'm pretty happy right now.

Now, next weekend. SE Minnesota. We'll see what happens.

Good luck all.

wanderer,

i was out SE MN this saturday saw a total of 8 does driving to the WMA near houston off 16 past rushford but didnt have a single sighting while hunting. there were 5 other vehicles there. I think the deer are starting to move now. the ironic thing is that i came to work this morning and right outside was a doe and 2 fawns at 5 am today... SUCH IS LIFE

After taking a couple deer when I first got into archery, I held off on everything waiting for that trophy. Well, 2 seasons ago I had my chance and blew it. I decided I should start taking some does to get comfortable again and build confidence but last year I could only get drawn back twice with no shot to take.

With more practice this year, and the new sight, the 20 yard shot was terribly easy. grin I'm pretty happy right now.

I've always told beginning archers to shoot a few does so when Mr. Big comes walking thru that you'd be ready. There are lots of things that can go wrong - they spot you, you get buck fever and blow that 'easy' 20 yard shot, equipment failure, etc. Too ofter beginning archers say "I'm not shooting a deer unless its a big buck". Practice taking deer, any deer, is critical.

I wacked a nice doe Sat. Morning. 30 yard shot through the boiler room. She went about 50 yards. Pretty fun. My first real time out this year and I scored at 7:15 A.M. I was sitting in a funnel from an alfalfa field to a thick bedding area.

I got my little doe today! It's my 3rd season bowhunting, and 2nd straight year of success!

Even though it wasn't a "trophy", I'm really glad I took the shot. I got to practice not freaking out, taking an odd angle shot because she was behind my stand, tracking a blood trail, and field dressing an animal.