• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New handle ready to fish

Thursday is our first salmon/steelhead trip of the year so im trying to get this rod done.

Blank is a Talon 4 piece 7/8 wt 11ft "switch" blank. Switch meaning it can be casted one handed traditionally or two handed "spey" style. They have become quite popular lately and for good reason. You can really reach out one handed with a double haul cast and throw a ton of line and you can roll or spey cast when there is no room for a back cast. Add the 11 foot lenght for fighting fish and I cant wait to fish it!!!

I took it a step further and will be able to have a third option with this rod. I can add a longer handle and add my centerpin reel for fishing floats.

Heres some pictures...

First is all the components before glueing. I used some old style furrels for makeing the butt of the handle detatch and mounted them on some old blank pieces...

p9162211lj7.jpg

All glued up. I used lots of epoxy as there will be lots of strain on the lower end while fighting fish. I also wanted the extra weight in the bottom to counter balance the tip weight of the 11 ft rod

p9162216ba6.jpg

Used some cabnet hardware for a butt cap...

p9162215cf0.jpg

With the centerpin reel...

p9162217td5.jpg

And with a fly reel. grin

p9162213wp3.jpg

The guides are wraped and getting some color preserver now. I'll fish it on thursday then add some kind of diamond wrap. Main giude wrap color is med green. Probably go with a lite yellow trim bands and a green, blue, yellow butt wrap. The blank is a deep dark gloss green...

P81 - I have and do target everything but anything on the fly rod is more funner, lol...

Upnorth - The fighting butt is made out of Ambloyna Burl. I didnt glue the top cork permanant. I want to turn a tad longer and thicker handle with some wood accents or checkerboard burl cork in it...

Yeah I know...I have done the fly fishing thing before, but it was with a cheap 40 dollar combo way back when my uncle used to do it. It was awesome catchin pannies on the fly, but fishing with a rod like the one you are building would make it a very enjoyable experience.

Well the rod and handle worked like a champ. She is not meant for 15-30 lb salmon though. I hooked around 6 on the new stick in the 15-20 pound range and the 7 weight is just not enough for them. Sure I can land fish on it and its fun but I prefer the 8-9 wt. The rod will get plenty of use with bass and big trout though. I loved the added length with the 11 footer.

Now I can start shopping for a longer 8/9 wt blank. cool