Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishinJohn

Wind

I like to sneak out at lunch once a week and fish for an hour. Today it was really windy and my plan for a few gills bobber fishing was ruined. I found some sheltered area that wasn't full of waves but it was full of weeds washed in by the wind. It makes me wonder how people change their game plans when it is windy out. I would like to hear from boat owners and shore fishermen/women alike. The wind didn't seem to impact my catfishing but that is the only species I have had success with in a strong wind.

I use the wind to an advantage when I can, it will sometimes push fish shallower and put them in an agressive feeding mood. Also windblown areas with congrigate bait and the bigger predators aren't far behind. Another thing that wind will do is create a current seam around points and this will often make a line from muddy to clear water, another place that baitfish will school up at.

Yea, I don't like trying to control the boat in the winde. It can push the bait fish up and get the fish to start biting, but it's hard in a boat to keep the boat where you want it.

Wind concentrated forage and subsequently predators. Pockets, inside bends, points reefs, bridges, culverts...on and on...all focus feeding and makes for easier spot on the spot identification.

Tips on anchoring in the wind. Try to anchor to the bow and not offset to a side cleat in strong winds, it ridged better. A short run smaller drift sock or even a pail set to the transom will help reduce swing in strong winds. Side cleat quartering is a handy in moderate winds as it reduces swing.

I found that the Digger anchors are the best by far for a wider range of bottom content and will hold in conditions others pull free. Digger also has a new anchore line cleat that is easy to use and holds a wide range of size solid core braided ropes. They work sweet together.

There is a new anchoring bundgie type system out there now called the Drop-N-Stay and it is a huge aid in anchoring in wind. It will reduce the pull or moderate it in a manner that your anchor holds better and reduces the stress on cleats dramatically.

Tests with scales in-line with the anchor shows line pressure reduced from 200 lbs steady ridged pull to a mere 40 lbs in the same windy conditions. It is easy to see how holding fast and secure with this system would aid any style anchorage. Very kewl tool is what I am seeing. I have a couple of them and they are the real deal!

A quick Google search should put you on there sites if you wish to see the YouTube footage of them in action.

Wind can be your enemy or your friend on the water. The right tools to manage it is the key.