• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind

fishinJohn

I like to sneak out at lunch once a week and fish for an hour. Today it was really windy and my plan for a few gills bobber fishing was ruined. I found some sheltered area that wasn't full of waves but it was full of weeds washed in by the wind. It makes me wonder how people change their game plans when it is windy out. I would like to hear from boat owners and shore fishermen/women alike. The wind didn't seem to impact my catfishing but that is the only species I have had success with in a strong wind.

I use the wind to an advantage when I can, it will sometimes push fish shallower and put them in an agressive feeding mood. Also windblown areas with congrigate bait and the bigger predators aren't far behind. Another thing that wind will do is create a current seam around points and this will often make a line from muddy to clear water, another place that baitfish will school up at.

Wind concentrated forage and subsequently predators. Pockets, inside bends, points reefs, bridges, culverts...on and on...all focus feeding and makes for easier spot on the spot identification.

Tips on anchoring in the wind. Try to anchor to the bow and not offset to a side cleat in strong winds, it ridged better. A short run smaller drift sock or even a pail set to the transom will help reduce swing in strong winds. Side cleat quartering is a handy in moderate winds as it reduces swing.

I found that the Digger anchors are the best by far for a wider range of bottom content and will hold in conditions others pull free. Digger also has a new anchore line cleat that is easy to use and holds a wide range of size solid core braided ropes. They work sweet together.

There is a new anchoring bundgie type system out there now called the Drop-N-Stay and it is a huge aid in anchoring in wind. It will reduce the pull or moderate it in a manner that your anchor holds better and reduces the stress on cleats dramatically.

Tests with scales in-line with the anchor shows line pressure reduced from 200 lbs steady ridged pull to a mere 40 lbs in the same windy conditions. It is easy to see how holding fast and secure with this system would aid any style anchorage. Very kewl tool is what I am seeing. I have a couple of them and they are the real deal!

A quick Google search should put you on there sites if you wish to see the YouTube footage of them in action.

Wind can be your enemy or your friend on the water. The right tools to manage it is the key.