• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gapen Rods??

Question

I'm thinkin' about getting a Gapen spinning rod - any opinions? The lifetime warranty looks nice, but the salesperson at the bait shop is about ready to tell me it has built-in sonar and speaks Fishese, if ya know what I mean. I could use some straight skinny on this piece of gear.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

9 answers to this question

Rods good, reels BAD!

Skip the reels, if you wish to know why I can send you a email address of a friend who can tell you why in detail. He had tons of bad luck with them and got screwed in the end.

But he likes the rods very much.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

I fish with Gapen rods and can tell you they are very good rods. The are really light and very sensitive. Even their two-piece rods are just about as sensitive as their one-piece rods! All rods are hand wrapped, all blanks are matched and the spline is in the correct position before the eyes are placed. Your basically getting a custum built rod for a fraction of the cost.
Give'em a try I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I have spinning and baitcasting Gapen rods, real good rods for the money. I also have a couple of G Loomis and Techna AV rods to compare them to and the only thing I would change on the Gapen rods is shorten the handle. There 7' rod is the same as my 6'6" Techna AV and my 7' G Loomis is about 6" longer than there 7 footer. Over all lengths are the same but the actual exposed rod is shorter making the action a little stiffer.

Robert, I got a 7' heavy for cats and a 6.6 med heavy for jigging/casting with fireline. Theres a few really nice rods around but I got the first one from Dan himself and decided to get another. The lifetime guarentee works for me and its made in the USA.

You may want to wait and get one at the sportshow in March....Gapen has a booth there.

I haven't had any problem with the reels (yet) The cat rod holds a Corsair 400 and the fireline is on a DAM 920 which is made in Germany.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......