• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does with fawns?

I was wondering what are the chances of fawns surviving if the mother is shot this time of year. If it makes any difference I am talking about deer in the Duluth area that face harsher conditions than other parts of the state. Thanks.

both of what you said is true. what happens in a "perfect situation" is the doe will run their yearlings off during the mating time of the rut....thats why you see all the yearlings running around like they're lost. after it calms back down, these deer will generally hook back up. does then will "help" with the relocation of the now yearling deer in the spring.

Does run the yealing bucks off before the breeding season begins. This is natures way of helping prevent inbreeding.

I think its springtime, right before the new fawns are born, that the young bucks are run off - thats what prevents the inbreeding. In the fall of the year, its a combination of immaturity and the older bucks running off the fawns that prevents a fawn buck from breeding its mother. If you locked a doe and her buck fawn up in a pen, I'm sure he'd eventually get'er done, but with other older bucks around - not a chance. And after the doe is bred, the fawns, both doe and buck fawns, will reunite with their mothers.

I had a corn food plot below my house last winter, I'd have 15-25 deer at time in there, I could watch in the morning how first one doe and a fawn would leave, then a doe with two fawns, then two bucks would leave!! - my point is that buck fawns were not completely run off at that point.

That and pretty much the lower half of the state only gets one tag period now so we have to make it count. I'll take a "fawn" in late November/December if things are looking slim, but right now I'm not even going out much because I don't want to end my season by being tempted with a doe before there's a chance at a buck. I watch doe after doe go by, mocking me, knowing I won't shoot because there supposedly aren't enough of them. : )