Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eskimoman

Does with fawns?

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering what are the chances of fawns surviving if the mother is shot this time of year. If it makes any difference I am talking about deer in the Duluth area that face harsher conditions than other parts of the state. Thanks.

Scientifically, they are fine. There is a thread on here that was just posted a couple days ago about this exact topic.

From what I've read the fawns will stay close to the woods where ma got zapped to grow up so if you have a doe with a couple button bucks she'd be a good one to harvest.

i'm a believer in lettin does walk if the fawns are spotted. typically, when they are spotted, ma hasn't quite completely weened them

I'm with "vister" on this, IMO. I've harvested doe's in rifle season that still have milk in there sack, early to mid November.

i shot a doe with a button buck yesterday morning. no spots, looked like a healthy deer. he'll be fine. heck right before the rut they're gonna run them off anyways....theres no guarantee they'll meet back up.

Not picking an argument, Flatcoats, but I don't want to be misinformed...I thought does will let the button bucks stick around until the following spring--can anyone clear this up?

Does run the yealing bucks off before the breeding season begins. This is natures way of helping prevent inbreeding.

both of what you said is true. what happens in a "perfect situation" is the doe will run their yearlings off during the mating time of the rut....thats why you see all the yearlings running around like they're lost. after it calms back down, these deer will generally hook back up. does then will "help" with the relocation of the now yearling deer in the spring.

Does run the yealing bucks off before the breeding season begins. This is natures way of helping prevent inbreeding.

I think its springtime, right before the new fawns are born, that the young bucks are run off - thats what prevents the inbreeding. In the fall of the year, its a combination of immaturity and the older bucks running off the fawns that prevents a fawn buck from breeding its mother. If you locked a doe and her buck fawn up in a pen, I'm sure he'd eventually get'er done, but with other older bucks around - not a chance. And after the doe is bred, the fawns, both doe and buck fawns, will reunite with their mothers.

I had a corn food plot below my house last winter, I'd have 15-25 deer at time in there, I could watch in the morning how first one doe and a fawn would leave, then a doe with two fawns, then two bucks would leave!! - my point is that buck fawns were not completely run off at that point.

i am in college and if i see a doe with a fawn she is gettin the shaft!!!!!!

get bonus tags and then have some venison veal! tender and great on the grill, aren't the spots bullseye's? grin

I think so, but I've noticed a lot of those "bullseyes" aren't really in the right spot...

That and pretty much the lower half of the state only gets one tag period now so we have to make it count. I'll take a "fawn" in late November/December if things are looking slim, but right now I'm not even going out much because I don't want to end my season by being tempted with a doe before there's a chance at a buck. I watch doe after doe go by, mocking me, knowing I won't shoot because there supposedly aren't enough of them. : )