• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what's with all the mushrooms??

surfs

I know we have gotten some good rain these past few weeks, but my lawn is being invaded by mushrooms and not the good kind either! Does this have to do with the ph level in the soil, or amount of sunlight vs shade this time of year? Can I buy something from a store to put down on my lawn to reverse this so I'm not getting these crazy things? My front yard looks like I have gopher issues because I'm digging them up as soon as I see them. After a few days they turn there little area into a black mess...they must me doing there spore thing or something. I'm not by any means an expert in this department but I pretty confident someone knows something and/or has/had the same problem. I look forward to getting rid of these things. Thanks for the help and possible solution.

Unless you have some sort of major mushroom problem, I would think you are making your lawn look worse by digging them up. They are very loosely rooted in the soil and can usually pulled up just by kicking them.

I have noticed a couple different kinds of mushrooms this week too, but they aren't harmful unless they are eaten. I usually kick them over into pieces and they are gone very quickly.

Is your yard overly shady?

Did you have a bunch of tree material buried in the front yard when you built?

Usually these are two of the main causes of mushrooms.

If it's too much shade, you could have your trees thinned to allow more air and sunlight in.

If it's the latter of the issues, you're going to be stuck with them.

I'll agree with Powerstroke. Just kick them over or mow them with the mower, that usually takes care of them.

If you'd really like to get rid of the situation, then do Harvey's route and get a fungicide.

Usually a week or two and they'll dry up and disappear.

The mushrooms may be the fruiting body of a fungus called fairy ring. Fairy ring can form small to rather large dark green circles in the lawn. It also but not always will form mushrooms on the outside edges of the circle. It also can produce the mushrooms without having the dark green circles.

I have been told that applying fungicides is not recomended because the fungicides may kill off bacteria that can compete with the fungus.

The easiest way to get rid of the mushrooms is to do like what has been stated, just rake them out or mow them.