Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brdhunter

Palin Will Not Cooperate

33 posts in this topic

Palin claims she has nothing to hide, but states she WILL NOT cooperate with the trooper investigation. Something smells fishy?

Did you expect anything different? Of course she won't.

Note from Admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank-you.

Facts are troublesome things guys. Telling only a small part of the story often leads to incorrect impressions, which is a favored tactic of those who seek to mislead.

Its funny how this story has taken on a life of its own since Ms. Palin was nominated - and even funnier to see the how quickly some seize on favored bits of the story, while ignoring the background and other less favorable tidbits.

If you really want to look into this topic, the Anchorage Daily News has been covering the story for months. What I found instructive was going back and reading the stories prior to the nomination and even in the day or two afterwards. Then read the stories leading up to today, and add in the coverage by the national media. Very interesting stuff, if you are a fan of spin and partisan politics.

Bottom line for those who don't want to do the research: Ms. Palin was cooperating with the investigation - and the Dem head of the committee looking into things was quoted as saying so, and even noting that a subpoena would not be necessary for Ms. Palin. It looked like everyone was working together to get the issue resolved.

Then we get the nomination.

Then we get the frenzy of partisan politics - the investigation is suddenly a national story - the investigation takes on a distinctly partisan tone - and Ms. Palin tells them enough is enough.

I would hope the facts are laid out and reported widely and accurately as soon as possible, but that may not be possible in the charged partisan atmosphere of a presidential election year.

OK, back to the spinning.....

What smells fishy is the attempt to smear her through this. Jackpine's post is not at all different than just what I would have expected to have happened. A nothing issue turned into a big fiasco by political extremists...

It cold be a nothing issue or is it. You would think if she did nothing wrong she would want to get it out of the way as soon as possible rather than trying to drag it out past the election.

The more I find out about her, the more she seems likes she's cut from the same cloth of government that exists already. She's hardly a breath of fresh air, she's more like that old stale air that permeates the capitol grounds.

She seems a little power hungry, she likes giving friends jobs in government postitions despite possibly being unqualified for those jobs. (Sound familiar? Hey Brownie...) She seems to bring personal agendas into her form of governing. Honestly, she's just like any typical politician. No better, no worse.

Tell me why anyone is in politics????

Every one, down to your town board is there for one reason, and that is to get things their way. I don't see why this is an issue to debate.

Roofer given the way most politicians get "depantsed" for the media these days its a wonder ANYONE is in politics.

Go to many small towns around and there are tons of small business owners, bank presidents, realtors etc. who wouldn't dare to run for office because of how "politicians" are looked at. They'd all lose their shorts because someone would always be out to get them for something.

I agree Jeff. Its sad but in many small towns the majority of the good business owners that might run for the city counsel won't as the people will rip them apart and it will cost them to much as far as their business goes.

I got this in an e-mail today and it definitely caught me off guard. Seems to be accurate to me.

Who am I?

I am under 45 years old,

I love the outdoors,

I hunt,

I am a Republican reformer,

I have taken on the Republican Party establishment,

I have many children,

I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.

Have you ever heard of me before now?

I am Teddy Roosevelt.

I got this in an e-mail today and it definitely caught me off guard. Seems to be accurate to me.

Who am I?

I am under 45 years old,

I love the outdoors,

I hunt,

I am a Republican reformer,

I have taken on the Republican Party establishment,

I have many children,

I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.

Have you ever heard of me before now?

I am Teddy Roosevelt.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Two extremely different times.

Thanks, Rob. A level voice amid the partisans. I know you are conservative generally, just as I am liberal generally, but what I'm hearing on this thread so far is a fair amount of partisan liberal speak for: She's in the other party, so there must be something fishy about it. I'm sure that if she were a Dem and this came up, the people that are smelling something rotten now would be smelling roses instead or at least would ignore the implied thorns.

And no, folks, I'm not trying to pick a fight with the liberals who see smoke and assume fire. I'm a liberal myself. Dig deeper than the sound bites and the truth is out there. Rob dug, won't you all?

And once again, we have a negative political thread posted in Silly Town that's got people pitted against each other. Uh, wasn't that something we were supposed to avoid, friends and neighbors?

Plenty of shiny new padlocks ready and waiting to slap on negative, partisan political threads here in Silly Town. Might want to check out this thread.

Frankly, I wish all of our presidents were like T-Rex

No Kidding!

Wouldn't that be something....wishfull thinking I'm afraid in these times.

[You're comparing apples to oranges. Two extremely different times.

An interesting thought from one who chooses Socrates for his signature line.

In listening to McCain's acceptance speech, where he opined that at some point in his captivity he gave up himself and became part of his country, I was struck with the thought of Plato's discourse on Socrates and why he would drink the hemlock. Obviously, McCain has no need (socially or economically) to seek the presidency and all of the nastiness and hoohaw that accompanies it - so could his quest indeed be something bigger than self-interest??? As a non-fan of McCain prior to that speech, it gave me pause, and continues to do so, particularly given his interesting choice of Veep. Is it possible that something other than hubris is at work - - at least this once?

I just finished up helping my son work on his speech project, where he is analyzing Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech from 1946. As we sat on the floor playing with the pup, tossing the puppy dummy, and learning the way learning should always happen, Jr. stopped, looked at me, and said "things haven't changed much since this speech."

The next couple of hours were an interesting give and take, where we put WC's speech up against the Bush Doctrine, the current world situation including Georgia - and came to the conclusion that there are certain timeless truths, and hopefully each generation will find someone willing to articulate those basic tenets, no matter how unpopular they may be, or what the political ramifications are.

If you haven't done so since about your Jr. year in high school, I urge all concerned to Google "Winston Churchill Iron Curtain Speech" and read the thing in its entirety - and not just the Cliff's Notes version.

It is truly a classic.

Facts are troublesome things guys. Telling only a small part of the story often leads to incorrect impressions, which is a favored tactic of those who seek to mislead.

Its funny how this story has taken on a life of its own since Ms. Palin was nominated - and even funnier to see the how quickly some seize on favored bits of the story, while ignoring the background and other less favorable tidbits.

If you really want to look into this topic, the Anchorage Daily News has been covering the story for months. What I found instructive was going back and reading the stories prior to the nomination and even in the day or two afterwards. Then read the stories leading up to today, and add in the coverage by the national media. Very interesting stuff, if you are a fan of spin and partisan politics.

Bottom line for those who don't want to do the research: Ms. Palin was cooperating with the investigation - and the Dem head of the committee looking into things was quoted as saying so, and even noting that a subpoena would not be necessary for Ms. Palin. It looked like everyone was working together to get the issue resolved.

Then we get the nomination.

Then we get the frenzy of partisan politics - the investigation is suddenly a national story - the investigation takes on a distinctly partisan tone - and Ms. Palin tells them enough is enough.

I would hope the facts are laid out and reported widely and accurately as soon as possible, but that may not be possible in the charged partisan atmosphere of a presidential election year.

OK, back to the spinning.....

Great post Jack. I went to the site and dug around, nice to see you can find the truth if you look. Too bad the media doesn't put it out there. You can also go to snopes and look into the book banning and find out the truths on that.

You hit the nail on the head lawdog. I am a successful business owner with the time and business knowledge (which is sorely needed in politics today) who has been asked many times to run for office but will not do it for the exact reasons you state. I refuse to put my family thought the partisan attacks I know would be forthcoming. Maybe when my daughter gets older and can tell them all to "go **** themselves" I might think about it again.

They are ALL just actors. Palin's speech was written by Matthew Scully, the same person who wrote for Bush. Don't you see it? They are all just actors trying hard to get your vote by telling you what you want to hear. They use ALL the polls out there to get a feeling for what the country is feeling and then use it to get at your vote.

I remember when I was in school, I had to write my own speech and deliver it to the class. Why can't they do the same? They all claim to be "ready" to lead this country forward but they can't write a speech???? I would think this process would be an easy one since they have taken the time to understand what is wrong in our country and feel they have what it takes to move us all forward.

Nice post Rob. We must teach our children to think for themselves. I agree with your view on Churchill's speech. It was an interesting time when many born to priviledge gave all of themselves in service to their countries.

I would also encourage those on this board to read the Military-Industrial Complex Speech by Dwight D. Eisenhower, a conservative and Republican in 1961 as he prepared to leave the office of U.S. President.

For myself, I am saddened at how his prescient advice has been ignored over the many years since he delivered this speech. I will not drag our current hostilities into this discussion as I believe everyone is entitled to their own views.

I will however quote another piece of this speech and the cautions it provided to our leaders which seem to have been largely ignored.

"Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society's future, we -- you and I, and our government -- must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

We all know here what is happening with Plain it happens to all politicians. The emotions of partisan politics rears its head and the peripheral vision of our eyes are narrowed down to what we want to see and the desire for answers takes over. When there is no communication one is lead to draw conclusions on what has been given then answer to ones self through narrow vision.

With all this he did that she did that this happend but this didn't happen. And with general suspicion that if a politician is accused of something he/she must have done it.

No wonder politics get emotional, when we are preconditioned to expect a politician is going to lye to us.

You are right on about our expectations Croix! Of course, its always easier on us when it is the "other party" that gets caught....

I have been regularly referring to Snopes and Factcheck(dot)org during this election cycle. Those folks have done a bit of research and can help a guy find his way to the original source materials.

You hit the nail on the head with your last comments croixflats! No matter what side you on someone can always spin something positive or negative out of a given situation.

you could say that was a admission on my part but if this were to be repeated I would have to strongly deny it and refer you to my political adviser who would tell you what I really meant grin Even true statement that have no conclusion can still be used as spin crazy

Facts truly are troublesome things.

Seeing as how you are keeping such a close watch on the investigation then I‘m sure you’re well aware that eight Republicans and four Democrats called for this investigation unanimously last July. Hardly a partisan crowed seeing as eight of those votes were from her own party.

What about her claim of ethical and accountable government when she herself is stalling the investigation?

When first notified of the investigation, Palin denied doing anything wrong and said she would welcomed the investigation and said “hold me accountable”. Well, guess what, the Alaska legislature took her up on it but now Palin is demanding that they stop the Investigation and is using an underhanded trick of filing an ethics complaint against herself.

Now, why would she do that? Because if the complaint is recognized it turns investigation over to the Governors state personnel board, which could then hire it’s own independent investigator.

This is nothing more than the GOP’s attempting to push the investigation out until after the elections.

So, a simple question: Why doesn’t Palin do what she has stated and cooperate with the investigation?

No, the GOP, not the evil media, is doing the spinning you’re seeing here. Well, unless it's God's will.

Nixon would be proud of her techniques.

I hope they stall this and McCain wins. The democrats, bless there hearts, don't deserve to be handed this pile anyhow. I can't wait until we are debating executive privilege for another presidential term. The Palin froth will highlight GW's problems with the Attorney General nicely.

Hey honey, the Bush over by the door matches the carpet!.? blusheek