• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Small Game Hunting

JimBuck

Hey Folks,

I'd like to get into some small game hunting this fall and had a few questions regarding it.

Besides my Small Game license,Gun and Ammo what else would I need?

I live in a fairly urban setting so I can't just step out back and fire away. What are some resources or places that I could freely hunt and roam in the Southwest metro? Any resources for areas where I could spend an afternoon would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Buck

Good questions buck. I do believe you will need at least one article of clothing above the waist to be blaze orange, your are fine with the license, and for area's, go onto the DNR HSOforum and find their hunting land locations page on the hunting pages. It will list the different areas that are open to hunting. They used to list in the back of the hunting manual all the dnr land that is open and closed to the various hunting species and seasons. Check the HSOforum and your reg's.

Good luck, I was thinking about heading out soon too. The last few days with the cooler weather is starting to drive me a little more nuts

Excellent. Thanks for the tips picksbigwagon. I haven't been able to find the Hunting Land Locations page on the DNR HSOforum? I did find the commercial one for game farms etc. Yeah, this weather is starting to drive me nuts....I love the fall season outdoors.

hey there buck. I live in chaska and small game hunt a fair share, I like to go to carver highlands WMA just out of carver on county 45. Its a great place to get started with the smallgame hunting. Plus its close and has a lot of rabbits and other smallgame running around, I like to walk the edges of the woods because there are a lot of brush piles and tree clusters around for the hairs to hide in. its a challenge though, helps to have two guys to post and drive. I also really like the rec compass on the DNR site. I always head there to look for new spots to hunt. Good luck out there buck!

You can't go wrong by dropping the $20-25 for a Minnesota Atlas, available at most stores. The book has all the public hunting areas marked for each county in the state so you can wander just about anyplace and find a place to do your thing. I think the one I have is by Delorme and they have them for most states that I've wandereed around in. I have a map put out by the DNR a few years ago that is a large road map sort of thing that has all the public hunting areas marked, but it really doesn't give good enough road detail to get you to the out of the way places.

I agree with everything said, also get a platte map they have all the county and tax forfiet land its all huntable, also most landownerd especially farmers after deer season is over are very cool about small game, i do alot of door knockin and am very seldom turned down as long as deer season is past...i have way better luck with rabbits later anyways cuz the snows on the ground etc...

Thanks for chiming in fella's. I just got back from a trip to Eagle Lake in Ontario and need to rest the wrist a bit from throwin' for ski's....Hunting sounds like a good way to rest the arm.

Chuckwagon, how would you get out to 45 from 212?

Cheers,

-Buck

hey buck, take the 11 exit from the new 212 and go south for about 2-3 miles and take a left onto 45 its at the top of a hill right after a new development, then go down 45 1 mile and the parking lot is on your left. cant miss it big open grass area .. woods are in the back.