• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I would like an opinion.

BobT

Do you think I came to the right place or what?

This year my daughter is 14 and legally able to sit in a stand by herself as long as she is part of a hunting party and a legal guardian is within close proximity. I'm curious. Do you think I should let her sit alone or should I stay in the stand with her again this year?

How would you all do this? Let her sit for short periods but check up on her from time to time? Problem with that is it would require one to be moving around quite a bit and might create too much activity in the area and spook the deer. This could take away her opportunity.

If I let her sit too long she could get discouraged or even a little uncomfortable being alone in the forest.

We do carry two-way radios in order to maintain contact if necessary so this could be used too.

Any ideas about how I could help her keep her interest up and stay alert while on stand?

Thanks,

Bob

I would highly recommend that you hunt with her. There are alot of things that you can add to her experience. You will be able to talk about the various situations that occur during hunting. Why did a deer do what it did? Talk about why you picked the stand you did. Discuss why you pass up a shot. Tell her when its time to take the shot. Maybe even video tape her hunt. Plus you will get to share in her emotions when she harvest her first deer.

I would let her dictate the length of the hunt. If she gets bored go in.

I remember back to my first few hunts with my Dad. Those are memories I will never forget. I am sure my Dad remebered them for the rest of his life as well.

I think hunting with her is the best option as stated above, then after a time or two if she's comfortable you can keep the 2 ways handy or if she has a cell phone she can call or better yet text you, it's kinda sacriligious I know, but it may keep her occupied and feeling in contact with you. Either way make sure she has a safety harness and let her know where you will be hunting. Lots of snacks, thermos of hot cocoa maybe something to read. If need be, tell her you will check on her at a certain prearranged time and maybe you can drive a deer her direction enroute.

redhooks

here's how I handle it. I have a 15 year old son this will be his 4th season hunting with me we hunt up in the crane lake area wich if you have been there you know that it can be a little overwhelming for a young or new hunter. His first season he was never more than 2 feet from me second season he would maybe get fifty feet from me last season we would separate for a few minutes 10-20 he shot three deer last year. now he talks about were he is going to hunt. my advice let them decide you will know when its time to let her sit on her own.

Hunt with her and enjoy the time together. My daughter and I had some of our deepest discussions AND funnyist times sharing a deerstand. One year her leg got too close to the stove and burnt the leg off her wool pants, the ones I had hemmed up for her the night before. But nothing like burning wool for a cover scent. grin She still enjoys sharing a stand and does with her husband now. Before he was her husband, on a 5 degree opening morning, up in a tree, as the sun came up, he proposed to her. cool

As what others have said, hunt with her! I too have a 14 year old daughter, she sits with me. I have another stand that is 50 feet from my main stand, and I will give her the option to sit alone in that one if she wants to. The other stand is in full view of mine, so it will give her some independence as well as the feeling that I am right there!

Bob I think you got good answers already. I think its hard to answer as I believe each kid is different in how long it takes before they are comfortable sitting alone. Stay with her if she wants, lets face it time with the kids is a valuable commodity and we should all take every good bit of it we can. Later in life you'll never regret "wasting" that time helping her vs. hunting for yourself...

Dad spent all of 4 hours with me in the stand when I was 12, I harvested a deer and being as it was the second season we were finished for the year.

Since then I have been on my own the whole time, but I was also a pretty mature kid at that time (well as much as one can be at 12-13) and had been tagging along and pheasant hunting since I was 9 and tagging along out to the turkey woods. We spent alot of time discussing things like shots to pass up and shots to take ect. before I was out hunting.

But like said, everyone is differnt and taking it slow is the best route.