Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmc2b

How much ice?

9 posts in this topic

My rule of thumb for myself is 12 inches of ice to pull my drop down house out. My house weighed about 3100 lbs. 15 yrs ago, it must weigh a little more now after accumulating more stuff every year!

Sorry for myu ignorance on this, but where do you guys go to weigh your houses?

I would not put ne house on much less than ten inches most guys waite till 12 inches no matter what size house they have. when you start seein trucks on the ice then its time.

We have had our skid house (approx 1100#) out on 8" of ice, but you need to be careful, check it every day, and be prepared to move it quickly.

I have a 6' x 12' wheelhouse that weights 2000 lbs fully loaded and have been out on 5.5-6.0 inches of ice. I only cut 1 or 2 holes in the house and use mostly outdoor lines when out like this. The key is the measure the whole way out there and never assume the ice is the same in every spot...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Not necessarily. Depends on circumstances. That one most definitely would be, though.
    • Maybe she needs to start a foundation..
    • mysnopro all of us that Ice fish feel very badly that this person died and know that we could be next since ice is never safe. I guess we just try and find away to move on and get through these times and some humor is a good way to heal. Not really making fun of someone we don't even really know. Just trying to get passed the hurt.     Jim, I have a lot of relatives that are Native and they are going to bust a gut laughing when I post this on FB to them knowing I ice fish so much.
    • Well, since the real cold is starting and trapping takes a lot of time and effort maybe you could just hold off until next year. Do some more research on the species you want to trap,  the market for their hides and consider the work involved in doing a perfect job of skinning and stretching skins. Then too,   in today's world a guy has to be extremely careful about placing traps where someones cat or dog ends up in the trap. Seeing a nice Brittany crushed and frozen in one of your traps will probably change your mind about the like of a trapper. Many outdoorsmen do some trapping when they are younger and most of them find other pursuits soon enough.  Of course there ARE serious trappers who work at it hard every season. Some thoughts.
    • Not to get technical, but after 1 hr lost person water emergencies are considered recoveries and not rescues...    
    • They say you can't fix stupid, but technically speaking, that is not always correct.
    • So tell me,  did the gather any significant intelligence from her account?  Or was it the same rambling scrambled nonsense she has been babbling at her last several public appearances. Got a quick note from a guy a week or so back who was in the audience at some function where she was speaking and he said "nobody in here can figure out what she's talking about and and the subject seems to change every few minutes. It's a hoot!"
    • nope but very interesting to say the least
    • Have you ever seen this? What do you think?    
    • 4chan did it. Well, not really hacked. The security question for her email was "what elementary school did you attend", which anyone could google because she is famous. So someone just used password recovery and took her account.   The DNC hacking was coordinated phishing, still a simple attack, but not quite as easy to pull off by just any old soul.
  • Our Sponsors