• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Video taping hunts?

bae501

My girlfriend and I wanted to start video taping our deer hunts. So we headed out Saturday morning to a box blind stand and I thought this would work out fine. So we start up the video camera when we got out to the stand and the video camera was extremely loud.....(it is an older 8mm)

So who else video's and what type of video camera do you use that works well? (noise being the main issue with bow hunting)

I use to shoot video with an 8mm but recently bought a new digital camera and shot some footage with it bear hunting and love it. With my 8gb memory card I can shoot over 2 hours of video in high def on a single battery and not run out of memory. With the SD media you never have to worry about sound spooking game, plus editing and making dvd's is really simple. If you have a quality digital I would suggest trying it out. You might like it.

Quote:
My girlfriend and I wanted to start video taping

AAAANND you lost me. What was your question???

Seriously, somebody on here last year mounted a camera on the their stabilizer bar, it looked sweet, it was just a plain Jane photo camera with a couple of minutes of live video. If you wanted more than that, you could look for a DVD video, we have a Sony HandyCam and it takes awesome video with a ton of battery life.

I used to do a lot of video taping for sports games and if you have a computer that you want to download and do some editing the Sony HandyCam's are great. They have an Extended Life battery which is two to three times the size and they are awesome. I would recomend getting two to three of them so that way one is charging while the other is in the woods. Also I would recomend getting a mount of some sort to get the camera away from the shakey husband syndrom or vice versa. Get a Unipod or even one of those that would mount on the window of a car and put it in the stand if possible. With my experience with video taping SLOWLY zoom in and out and it will help your video a lot.

Good tips on slowing the zoom down and using a big memory card. I know Cabela's carries camera mounts that fit where your stabilizer goes. You can DIY it, or buy something. Saw them for sale in a booth at the NW Sportman's Show. They looked pretty nice...can buy rifle, shotgun, or bow mounts. I may be getting into it more as I've done a lot more videotaping of my fishing since I bought a vidcamera two years ago.

I have the Stealth cam. It is very bad in low light. If you are planning to use it for hunting, it may not be what you are looking for. I got mine for $150, so my advice would be buy it and try it, if you don't like it, save the packaging and bring it back.

I have a JVC Everio HD camera. It has a 30g hard drive (10+hrs of high quality footage) so I do not need to carry any other tapes or media with me. It also allows me to simply plug in the camera with a USB cord and drag and drop files to my computer for later editing. I got the JVC at Sears for $399 a year ago or so. You may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else. I use that and a Gorilla Tree mount and I am able to tape my own hunts for the most part. With a partner I bring both cameras and he is able to get good video with the JVC and I can mount the stealthcam to my hat or stabilyzer to get a decent shooter view.

My $.02

Erik