• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor on a Jon boat

Does anyone have any experience duck hunting with an electric transom trolling motor on an aluminum boat?

I'd like to get something for my 14' jon boat, I've been looking at used gas motors (4 to 9.9 hp) but I'd really like to get a 50 or 55 lbs minnkota trolling motor and skip the whole gas mixing winterizing bit that comes with a gas outboard if it's enough power.

Also does anyone know what 55 lbs/ft of thrust is comparable to HP wise? I would think 3 or 4 hp..

Thanks

I have heard for every 15lbs of thurst its 1 hp which seems right becuase I troll with my 55lb and can get it to move around 3mph just make sure you have a battery that has tons of power(reserve) or you will be paddling

I would go for a small gas motor. They are way faster than any electric, pretty easy to lug around. get one with a built in tank and it won't take up any space in the boat like a battery would. They are super easy to winterize or just bring them into the basement for the winter and the prices are probably similar.

How big is the water you hunt? I've been puddle jumping sloughs with a buddy and we've been doing fine with an electric for years. If its windy, you can wear a battery down. We use 40 lbs thrust. The biggest water we tackle is probably 100 acres. But then again, we're young, so if it goes out, we just row back no worse for the wear.

Thanks for the info guys, it makes for a good discusion, I think. It sounds like a split desicion with good arguments for pros and cons on both sides (as usual).

The slough I hunt is very small, I only need a boat for decoys and shaging birds. But I wanted to start getting some use of that boat that has just sat for years.

Actually right after I posted this a guy called on an older craigs list ad I had for that jon boat so as of last night it's gone.

Now I'm looking at an otter stealth (again) and maybe an electic motor for it. The season is almost here.