Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
ikeslayer

STATE RECORD

Sorry to get your hopes up but i have NOT caught the next state record but like any of us we all aspire to do so. Anyway my problem is that i wouldn't even know what to do with it if i caught it. do i take it to somewhere? It would suck to be like a chicken with my head cut off if i did catch it but i figure someone on here knows. Sorry for the false excitement. ike

You would want to take it to a certified scale at a local bait shop or somewhere that has one. Make sure you try to keep it alive as well.

It is against state law to transport any live fish... right? That whole process always throws me for a loop. Would suck to keep a fish thinking you may have state record and then pull up just a few oz short. I'd rather release if that was case.

The last state record caught by Mark Raveling was kept alive for almost 6 months... I think you may be right, but how did that happen then? Have the laws changed in the last few years?

Yeah I know it was kept alive. Didn't it start at Cabin Fever in Victoria then it was moved to Cabellas on hwy 10 where it eventually died. I'm not sure about how he got away with it or if there is some kind of loop hole in the system but I thought it was Illegal to transport live fish... I suppose the actual intent is to stop ivasive species and private stocking of small lakes and such. If a guy actually caught a bass in the 9 pound range around here I doubt if he'd get a ticket for keeping it alive in his live well while bringing it to be offically weighed... at least I'd hope not. It would be a dream to catch a fish like that, get it offically weighed with witnesses then let her go healthy.

A grocery store scale is acceptable. Before anyone drives for a couple of hours looking for a scale consider that. I know a guy who crossed that path before.

What do you do to try and keep a fish that needs to be weighed alive? Ice and a Cooler?

Probably the best bet. Live well doesn't work (anyone else ever accidentally hit the livewell switch and not realize their livewell was full before hitting the road?) as all the water just sloshes out as you turn.

It had a lot of issues from the stress it went through and old age. I'm sure most of it was old age rather than a disease or anything. More trying to keep it alive than anything.

Fresh water, Cool the temp down 5-8 degrees F. There is actually an article that discusses improvements in Live well desgign in the most recent Infisherman magazine. The cooler temp of water slows the metabolism (requirements of O2) and lowers the stress level of fish.

Hate to be the one that says it, but if you caught the state record fish, you'd want to kill it. I believe Raveling got a warning or a ticket for live transport on the fish. Kind of silly, I know, but the law sees black and white. Secondly, a dead fish isn't metabolizing food, excreting waste, getting stressed out, and losing weight.

You would want a certified scale and the names of two observers and the phone number for your local fisheries office, as you need two state biologists to certify the fish. You also need a full length photo of the fish and you have to fill out a state record fish application.

All while jumping on one leg and rubbing your stomach counter clockwise grin