• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poor weather / Fantastic fishing

Fever

Saturday afternoon to early evening was on and off rain and drizzle & I headed out to a small eastern wright co. lake. I apparently was the only one crazy enough to put on the rain gear but I'm telling ya it was worth it. I didn't catch any pigs but my best three were all real FAT and they messured 18.75, an 18 even and a 17.25. I honestly don't know how many I caught but I'm guessing somewhere in the 30-40 fish range. I gave up counting at 15 as I don't have a hand couter or anything. The most successfull pattern was targeting active fish in the 4 - 9 foot range. I had success using the minus one (black shad), a lipless crank (chrome/black), a DT 10 (blue gill), a white booyah clacker buzze bait w/red trailer hook, and a white spinner bait w/red trailer with large double colorado blades (silver & gold) I very rarely use a spinnerbait as I think alot of lakes in the west metro get a ton of pressure and fish simply have seen the spinner bait too many times but I'm telling ya... it wasn't even close. The spinner bait bite was on! The were times when the rain was COMING down and I was catching fish on back to back to back casts... wondering to myself why this kind of thing doesnt happen during league tourneys. It was Awsome but today I'm feeling a bit of a upper respiratory/head cold... ughhh. Anyway... thought I'd share. Any one else get out and fish in the rain this past weekend?

i skipped bow opener to go fishing and there were very few people out as well. We did the best we have done so far this year on the lake we were on. We hammered them. Many fish in the 15-17 range making for a great time. Banging cranks off of wood and hybrid blades doing the work. Good times. Very nice to be out when it was crappy and have it pay off.

ike

Thanks for the reports all. I caught a bunch of fish while the wind was blowing and it was raining. The the wind switched to the northeast around 6 pm and I couldn't land any fish after that. I had a couple fish on, but the bite surely went south for me. I worked a jig/worm and a spinner bait for success in 2-10 fow.

Well, I hit the same lake again this past Sat the 20th. Much different conditions. It was sunny in the upper 70's and relatively calm. I tried the pattern that had produced so well the previous week and it was not good... I caught 5 smaller fish on the spinnerbait. Admitedly to me it was not spinner bait conditions so that made sense. I went a bit deeper with the jig and couldn't get anything there either. Fish seemed turned off and just not very active. I threw a few different cranks as well and had my best fish of the day on a DT10 bluegill. It was just over 17.75 inches. Not huge but still, a decent fish. I also hooked three smaller pike on the cranks ranging from 23 to 26 inches. And for the first time this summer while bass fishing I hooked a Walleye.... A monsterous 14.5 incher. I honest thought it was a weed as it did not fight at all. I was using a med / hev. St. Croix with Baitcast and 20 lb power pro... not exactly your typical finesse walleye gear. I let the pike and walleye swim as I didn't feel they were quite keeper size. Overall not a horrible day but not nearly as good as the previous week while it was raining.