• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Target Field

nofishfisherman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is already a Target Center and they are probably saving Target Stadium for the new home of the Vikings so there probably aren't many options left besides Target Field or Target Field of Dreams that they could use for their Marketing Campaign.

Slapping corporate sponsor names on ballparks and stadia has always made me ill. Oh, I know the reasons, but just look at how the turnover in names causes a lack of identity. Astros Field becomes Enron Field becomes Minute Maid Park? Jacobs Field becomes Progressive Field? (with the tackiest of signage simply bolted over the top of the old 'Jacobs' lettering...) C'mon: the San Antonio Spurs play in "SBC Center" and the San Francisco Giants play in "SBC Park"?? THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SAME STATE. Oh, fans like the insider nicknames ('X' or 'Cell'...) but then that company goes belly-up or their scandalous business practices are exposed and we change names again. (I see the Jets and Giants are cozying up to Allianz Insurance and their $30 million, ignoring that company's ties to Nazi Germany... They could have just as well picked 'Taliban Field' or 'Bin Laden Stadium.')

Sheer lunacy. Even though nearly 100 professional teams already play in places that have sold their souls to corporate naming rights (source: ESPN Sports Business web page) and even though I do understand that maybe it will get us that RH power-hitting 3B and a middle reliever or two, I still don't have to like it.