• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skunk Wash

2 DA GILLS

I know people have posted the recipe before and here is what I found with a search. Can someone confirm this information and if I recall correctly, you do not mix until you are going to use them.

1 Quart (approx 1 litre) of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

1/4 cup (approx 45ml) baking soda.

1 teaspoon (approx 5ml) liquid soap.

After having my dog point a skunk on day 1 of a 4 day hunting trip. I will be sure to carry this stuff.

Keep in mind that the 3% hydrogen peroxide will freeze during late season hunts if left in a vehicle. I had a couple bottles in my first aid kit and it made a little mess once it thawed because the bottle cracked/leaked. Not sure if much can be done about that.....maybe a different container.

Should be able to take it out of the vehicles by late season, but need to remember to do so.

Is there a time span that you need wash your dog with it? Like within 15 minutes? 1 hour? No time constraints? I assume it works on humans and clothing as well? I got hit a bit as well since he was pointing it in thich cattails.

I knew there was trouble when my eyes started burning. Holy snikes does that stink at 5 feet.

I have used it several times...specifically with Dawn Dish Soap. It doesnt matter when, and you may also do a couple treatments. You dont really want to get it in your dogs eyes. I dropped a few drops of olive oil in the dogs eyes before the bath. I read that doing so should help reduce eye irritation.

I never hunt without my "skunk kit" anymore. It is NO fun driving home with a dog that was sprayed.

Four times in the first year?? Wow! That's some bad luck.

My dog had the honor of getting her first dose last year. She didn't get it too bad though and I think she walked through some freshly sprayed grass instead of a direct shot. I never saw the skunk but could sure smell it. I called the vet and instead of selling me the off the shelf stuff, they gave me the formula posted above and it worked as advertised.