• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insulated or not?

slick2526

I think it depends on whether or not you intend to fish in extreme conditions and your other gear. I have nice jacket/bibs and a big buddy heater in a Otter Lodge. It is pretty rare that I don't find it warm enough - typically I don't even wear my jacket. Only time it may get cold inside is if it windy out side and below zero.

Canvas Craft insulated house are the cats meow. They heat for next to nothing when its cold enough to use a heater. With the white inside, they are also very easy to light up. A very nice house for the extra dollars.

If you are considering an insulated portable, do yourself a favor and take a look at the Canvas Craft line up of houses and you will not look back.

Canvas craft is up in Rogers, real close to Cabelas. Make a day trip out of it and have some fun. I'm going to be selling my regular house this fall and purchasing an insulated portable. I did all of my research last year and the X thermal and Canvas Craft/otter are both good houses but I like the seats in the Clam better.

For those of you thinking of shelling out a small fortune for an insulated portable...

A roll of reflectix from Menards is pretty cheap and does just as good of a job. Takes your non insulated house, makes it insulated at fraction of the cost AND WEIGHT...

I guess if I was worried about being cold in my house I would shell out the extra $ for a insulated house but I havent had a time where I was so cold I wished I had some insulated canvas.

I find the extra cost of a insulated house to be a bit too much. I can buy a lot of propain for that extra $.

For me if its so cold I cant heat my Otter house its probably too cold to be out there. Thats when trucks, snowmobiles etc. dont want to start anyways.

What do you folks use for heat in the portables and any idea what the temp is inside with a heater?

I use either a sunflower heater or a Big Buddy. I've never checked to see what the temp gets to, but I haven't ever been cold (hot many times but never cold).

I used to use a Mr. Heater cooker, very high BTU output! The one I have the low setting is to high and I find them to be a bit on the loud side. I now use a buddy heater. Much quieter and a little better control for my liking. Now, if you fish in very, very cold temps (Devils Lake?) then I'd use a cooker or something with more output.

The R-2 200 and 300 are only 4# heaver then it's respective uninsulated Frabill sister shacks the Magnum and Fortress.

Canvescraft was using the 3-M R-2 Tech insulation on custom retrofitted shacks and custom built to order insulted shacks...not sure if they still do, as it may be a Frabill exclusive now. The retrofits were very spendy too.

There is no better commercial available insulation by weight and R Value offered on the market than the 3-M R-2 Tech.

If a guy has the funds to play with, and likes the overall packages offered, the shacks fitted with R-2 Tech are the best to be found.

I personally like the Frabill 200 as it has the dimensions and features that fit my needs and can be heated with 1/2 the thermal BTU's, and can essentially heat itself on a sunny day with average winter temps.

I hope they soon make a roomy 1 man with it, and/or add the Frabill Prowler to the R-2 Tech line.

For heating I would recommend a Mr Heater buddy or big buddy. Back and sides don't get hot so you are less likely to burn your tent canvas or other stuff accidentally.

Buddy works fine for a one man or small two man. Big buddy is good for a 2-3 man (it has a built in fan to help distribute the heat).

I emailed Frabill to ask about a one man and they said not for this year. They did say the insulated shacks will be available in solid black in addition to the red ones on their HSOforum. I would bet a one man is in the works unless sales are really slow for the insulated shacks.

I would also heat with a bIg Buddy but never found one or a regular buddy heater that would work consistantly. I have had 3 regualr buddies and 2 big buddies and none worked like they should.

If my Mr. Heater gets too hot I just open another vent or the dooor more. Always keep a vent open using any propane heat source no matter what the box may say.

I guess i have been pretty lucky the past two seasons with the buddy/big buddy heaters. So far so good. Biggest issue tends to be lighting and keeping the pilot in any sort of wind (so bad for outdoor use but fine for in a shack). When using an external tank with a hose - takes a little patients to prime the hose. I've considered picking up a heater/cooker as a back up unit - I just like the idea of lessening my chances of burning stuff with the buddy heaters, they are also very quiet.

thats all I use is the heater/cookers. the only thing is I had a leak in the hose on time and about blew my porty with me in it out to pluto. boy did that make my hair stand up it was during the day so not to many people could till kinda sounded like when ya light the grill if the gas was on lillte long wooosh