• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishin newbie..

pkwalleye

Hey guys,

I've never really gotten into ice fishing and this year my son really wants to get going on it.

What are some essential needs for the ice besides and auger?

like tackle?

Depth finder?

Where to find fish?

Any advice would be awsomee!!

Thanks,

PK

How old is your son you might want to look into a cheap portable fish house or you could build a 4 x 8 with a canvas or tarp top togther. Fished out of one alot when we were kids. I would start with some panfish thou. My buddies dad took us to a lake were the water was crystal clear we could see the pearch come and bite all day was awesome. Even if you dont catch fish your son will be happy he's spending time with his dad. Plus it'll give him something to talk about in school.

for perch and eyes my favorite is the perch rattlin buckshot the one that is about 1" or 1 1/2 " long get a decent rod throw the bobber away and use at least a cheap flasher and you'll catch way more fish. thats my opinion

Custom Jigs and Spins make a ton of great tackle for panfish- ratsos, finkees, ants, etc. I second the flasher recommendation, I bought mine last season and although I don't know how to use all the features yet, I don't know how I fished without it. Next, a shelter (get a used Clam or similar off hsolist) and a Big Buddy heater. A suit is also a good investment. Alot of the guys on here swear by their Arctic Armour suits, I have yet to get one, but will eventually. You have about a month before the gear gets put out at the stores, but a few years back when I started out, I hit stores like Gander and started my ice only tackle bag and got a big jump on the season by buying tackle that is out all year. They keep the Custom Jigs and Spin stuff out all year, and others like my essential Swedish Pimples as well. Salmo Darters are another one.

For perch and walleye I usually pinch my minnow in half and put the head on one of the trebles. For crappies I usually scale way down to a spike or other small grub worm and a small hook and very small weight. Your probably gonna need a flasher thou because they always come in at totaly different depths.

You can watch hsolist also I would recommend the marcum LX3 I bought on once for 200 bucks try a wanted ad in your local paper ,call pawn shops I wouldnt get a fL8 when your next to onther flasher the static will drive you nutz. I own a FL18 and love it. But my next one will be a LX5 marcum flashers just seem a little clearer.

For perch and walleye I usually pinch my minnow in half and put the head on one of the trebles. For crappies I usually scale way down to a spike or other small grub worm and a small hook and very small weight. Your probably gonna need a flasher thou because they always come in at totaly different depths.

The go to lure for perch is a green Swedish Pimple with a minnow on it, it hammers 'em!!

Sporting goods stores like Cabelas, Joes, Thorne Bros, Sportmens Warehouse, etc carry them. Call around and ask for pricing. I see you are from Stillwater- Joes is in Roseville at the intersection of Hwy 36 and Rice St, pretty close to you.

To start out you don't HAVE to have much. You can start with a hand auger, ice rod, light tackle and a bucket. That's all you need to have. Now, my first big purchase would be a Flasher, Vex or Marcum and then a power auger. The flasher will let you know if you are on fish or not and where your lure is sitting. The power auger just makes it easier to get fishing. Then I would get a portable and just keep adding more rods and tackle.

what type of jigs/spoons and sizes would you reccommend for pannies and eyes??

Just like open water fishing there just about everything out there.

I had very good luck last year, using the jigs and spoons that can be purchased right here on this site.

For Crappies and Panfish I like the Outdoor Pro Series Crappie Kit

Click Here to See

For Perch and Walleyes, I like the Rattling Varmint Spoons, especially in Glow Red.

Click Here to See

I would also recommend an entry level flasher. The Marcum VX-1 and Vexilar FL8 are great entry level flashers. They show up on the classifieds here from time to time, otherwise keep an eye on hsolist. Expect to pay 150-200 for that.

Also look back on the archives in this forum.....lots of great info to absorb!

Good Luck