• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

destroyed lures?

b1gf1sh1

i've got some assumptions and was wondering what others think. i've caught some fish that just completely demolish the lure i'm useing. and even though i feel a little bummed out about that lure being put to rest i can't help but smile about it. i'll show it to anybody who'll look at it and say something like... ''look what it did to my lure. that coulda been my hand''? everybody says the same kind of thing like... ''wow man, how much that cost''? or... ''geez, really tore that up, huh''?... really it's kind of a ''bragging rights'' kind of thing for me.

so i'm wondering if others feel the same way when their lures get destroyed. i'm thinking so. so what do you say?

Oh yeah....that is braggin rights there man. I have some old rapalas that don't have any paint left on the sides, some that have tooth holes, home made suicks that are demolished. There are a few retired lures hangin out in the garage, love em. And any time someone wants to show me a busted up lure, I don't pass up the opportunity. Seeing those old lures almost puts you in the boat with the beast. Great stuff.

One thing that I want to do down the road is take all my muskie lures that won't run anymore and make a little display of some sort in my basement. It would kind of be like a little trophy case.

On the other hand, when talking about lure quality, there is a fine line between a lure that was destroyed on the first fish and the lure that caught 10 and just couldn't be resesitated anymore. When I was selling Muskie baits, more than a few times did a guy bring a bait in that was destroyed and would say "I want my money back, this bait only lasted 3 Muskies" I would just look at them and say "hi 5! now let me sell you another one and get back out there!)

Too funny 10,000! Should have sold them two so that they didn't have to come back so often!!

I bought an Orange and Black Suick last summer that lasted only one fish! Caught a nice 44" on it and it destroyed the bait. It nows hangs on the wall in the garage in kind of a "Badge of Honor" type thing with the rest of my trashed lures. My greatest hope is that I get to add more lures to my "trashed stash"!!!

For your bucktails specificaly cowgirls you can order new wire forms for them from stamina tackle the .051 is what they are made with but the .062 is heavier wire that will work also. Cut the back end of the wire on the damaged lure take each piece off the damaged cowgirl one by on and slide it on the new wire form. Then when you have all components on the new wire form grab the top wire and bend it with a needle nose and wrap it around the needle nose to form the loop and then wrap it 3 times around the shaft. Brand new spine for your cowgirl. This will work for most bucktails.

Quote:
On the other hand, when talking about lure quality, there is a fine line between a lure that was destroyed on the first fish and the lure that caught 10 and just couldn't be resesitated anymore. When I was selling Muskie baits, more than a few times did a guy bring a bait in that was destroyed and would say "I want my money back, this bait only lasted 3 Muskies"

lol. too funny. in one case i can remember i used a rapala super shad rap trolling WBL and got a nice 46'' on the north bay over the top of some weeds. when i got it in i measured it and released it and put the lure in the water to check it before retying. did'nt run right so i took a closer look and the tail was snapped cry that lure was never on a fish before. i smiled and gave the muskie the ole' ''high #1'' and moved onto another one. i bought 2 of the same discontinued color (same as above) off hsolist for 20 bucks and 25 bucks. already the one i've used so far has got 3 muskies, mabe 6 or 7 pike ( two trolling ) and a few smallies. besides teeth marks it's working fine.

that said... it's gotta be the fish not the lure huh? just bad luck. i did epoxy that tail but the lip mysteriously fell appart. lol, that fish really broke that thing up. i don't like lakes really but any WBL muskies i've caught have been some mean, tough, and nasty fish. way more than the other metro three, forest, rush, bald eagle. never got a 'tonka but the rivers have the meanest, toughest, nasiest and smartest muskies going, IMHO. whistle

Quote:
One thing that I want to do down the road is take all my muskie lures that won't run anymore and make a little display of some sort in my basement. It would kind of be like a little trophy case.

really great idea. might even be able to sell something like that. ( just kidding grin ). hope you don't mind if this winter i borrow your idea and whip one up for myself. awsome idea. that's one reason i like coming onto here. always great ideas.