• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow hunters are you having any luck?

KG243

All the bucks I saw shed the velvet already, but by the looks of it very recently, probably within the last few days. I'm hunting just southeast of Detroit Lakes.

Come on Vister, wanna see that buck! Good shot...a bit risky, but confidence is everything. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same. The big guy I saw was at 25 yards but it was just a bit too dark to be sure of my aim. I'll see him again.

Well, here we go!

DSCN0112.jpg

sorry about the tongue hanging out, I did tuck it back in, but it must have fallen out when i was adjusting for a photo.

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

Remember, the gash in the throat was by a two blade rage entering down through the vitals, not slitting his throat to finish him off! Also, the smile inside of me wrapped around my head!! i'm just not too photogenic.

180 was the weight, it was a pretty young deer. his tracks looked like i was tracking a doe. but at least his antlers were big and not his hooves!! i guess the rest of the season i will be maybe taking a dry doe or a yearling. u can bet i'll still get out there every weekend just to watch the deer, as opening day i saw 8 different bucks, 3 of which were shooters. I bet my fiance' will want to climb into my stand though!

Vister that is one heck of a deer. I think you made a good shot. I think as long as you are confident in your shooting abilities go for it! Thats why my 308 could shoot a deer tick off a deers back!

Many congratulations Vister on a great buck! The bases on those antlers are phenomenal.

I really like the part about how you did your scouting, got a few cool pics of him on trail-cam, and then obviously did your due dilligence at the range, evidenced by the well-placed difficult shot. When I first saw your posted trail cam pics of that deer, I was hoping that you'd get him.

That's definitely one to be proud of.

Joel

Very nice buck Vister. our group of 3 hunters all shot our does. none of them were with fawns. All but one buck we seen had velvet and the one that didnt was bloody. all were spikes or 6pt. lots of does running around though.

Vi, the best part of your enormous buck relates back to how much time you spent out in the field this year...preparing for something that everyone dreams of. I could never imagine having a buck of this caliber walk within 30 yards of me, staying focused and having the confidence in taking a shot that you made. I'm looking forward to getting home this weekend and looking in mom and dad's freezer. Congratulations on a well-deserved, successful hunt!

Nice job guys!

Vister what's the mark on the bridge of your buck's nose from? I'm assuming it can't be from your shot, did he hit something when he went down?

That's a heck of a nice buck. Is he at the taxidermist? Can they fix the cape or do you have to get a different one?

the mark was just some blood on his nose. taxidermist will get him sunday. wasn't able to bring him in last weekend. the cape may be fixable, but likely will need a new one. oh well i guess. so if any of you guys/gals take a buck with a bow and have no use for the cape, LET ME KNOW!. I'll take it!