• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening day

deerhunter10

i went out to RUM RIVER STATE FOREST was on the stand at around 5:30 until 2:30 when all that downpour made us leave. we packed up both our stands and headed home no sightings at all. not even on the drive there or drive back. sunday ill maybe try CARLOS AVERY or SHERBURNE

Saw a few on the way into the stand, and a few on the way back out. One looked to be a decent buck, but it was just dark enough that I couldnt tell for sure if he was a shooter or not. Sat for the morning, but didnt have anything come into range from the stand. Looks like the rain is gonna kill the evening hunt, not that the deer wont move, I just HATE hunting in the rain.

Had a great evening in the stand with a 4 ptr walking 20 yrds past me within 5 minutes of getting there. Next came a doe that I watched for about an hour and 20 mins 35yrds downwind of me. Gotta love carbon clothing. While she was standing there the 4 ptr came back and walked directly under me. They sure are fun to watch that close. A little later an 8 ptr came out of some thick stuff and meandered off into the hard woods. Shortly after that saw a younger buck still in velvet. Lastly just before dark a nice 10 ptr came out and gave me a 15 yrd broadside shot with his head down and away. Had about a 16 inch spread and nice tines but didn't have much mass, don't think he would have made P & Y so I passed.

Oh and also saw a bunch of gobblers.

I got out to the stand at 2 and saw a big doe at about 3.Too far away to shoot. watched her for a half hour then a doe and fawn come strutting up and walked right under me. I pass on does with fawns too. Then nothing till about 6 i seen a four pointer and a bunch of turkey. Turkeys didn't get close enough to get a shot off or i would have taken one of them. Good luck to everyone!

Sat tonight from 5 till dark over my bean field. Nothing came to the field tonight. Tomorrow is suppose to be windy. The whole next week looks like sunny and 70. They will come back to the beans during the week. I will try a little place by my house I just picked up. Might be a good spot, might not.

Nothing in my stand today - like, not me. Family gathering in Brainerd so maybe tomorrow?

Quite a few trucks parked around my home area this evening though.

TheAsian,

How does the fall turkey season work over in WI? We have tried to double dip in MN before, but our 2 seasons are in Oct. Sept seems early. Just curious.

Well,the morning was a little slow, only saw a fox. Heres how the evening went, yeah, it's small but I figured I never shot a deer last year, after missing a month and half of beginning of season, I decided to take this small Spike, 11 yards heart shot. It's kind of cool he's still in velvet.

DSC01686-1.jpg

Nice buck AC.

I brought home the Arctic Armor this weekend thinking I would likely not use it. Well, I sure am glad it came with! I washed it in a no scent soap Saturday morning and suited up around 4. Got to the stand about 4:30. One hour later I turned my head to the south edge of the beanfield and momma and her twins were making their way down my way, very slowly. They munched for about thirty minutes and then dissappeared into the woods. One hour later, they passed by on the marsh side of the stand on the cattail fringe. They stopped in range and looked at all the brush I had cleared out last week before continuing on. Nothing else came. This family had showed up on the trail cam a few times. The fawns were still in spots. I will probably leave this stand alone for a few weeks.

BUT, I was super impressed with the Arctic Armor! I was warm, dry, and comfortable in 58 degrees and on and off rain. I used the zipper pockets to stash what I needed and it was a VERY quiet suit! I was skeptical before getting the suit but one day on the stand and now I can see this purchase being a 3 season deal.

Anyways, it was great to get out and listen to the woods and marsh go to bed. A flock of geese landed on the marsh, a family of raccoons came out, a kestrel landed in the tree next to me when it started to downpour, a barred owl started calling towards evening as the frogs picked up, the mallards were very content and were using the feeder chuckle out on the marsh.

Had a great opening morning. No deer sighted, so we left before the rain and came back to a downpour. Here is where it gets interesting... I'm hunting with my 2 brother-in-laws, both new to archery and hunting in general.

We're all geared up and don't mind the rain, so we get out there.

I'm in my stand 2 minutes, see 2 does and a 6-pt buck. Not within range and its raining anyway, so I'm just watching. A little while later a doe and 2 fawns comes in - I'm not about to shoot momma or the fawns so its showtime.. got some pictures with my camera and let 'em pass.

Right after they leave, a spike and a larger buck come out and follow them. No shot, but fun to watch. Now the fun part.

So my brother-in-laws are about 150 yards apart on the same ridge. Some 'still hunter' comes walking through (not being very still) and jumps 4 deer. 3 run, a 6-pt buck stops 10 yards from Josh's stand. He draws back, intent on taking his first deer. Unfortunately, Mr. Still hunter is still on a stomping tirade and the deer bolts just as Josh is about to set the release.

Now.. the same 6 pt runs over to Kyle and surprises him while he is munching on beef jerky. He puts the jerky away, the buck watches him. They square off... the jerky gets put away and the buck turns, eating some shrubbery. Unfortunately, the deer continues on a straight line walking away from Kyle and he never gets a shot.

LUCKIEST DEER EVER. True story.

Ah, public land. I tried sneaking up on a set of does last night and unfortunately, the next thing I know, some guy comes up behind me on his cell phone chatting away and the deer are off to the races. Okay anyway as I don't think I would have taken the shot. Momma and fawns. Nothing against that in a little bit, just not quite yet in the season when I still have lots of options. The land I hunt is right next to a state park and county campground and the guy must have been wandering around trying to get reception. : P

he took 2 shots from the bottle, then put the cork back in it. What is wrong with shooting a doe with little ones? I would have taken the doe with twins if she would have came in range, the yearlings were bigger with no spots. I was just wondering why everyone is acting like those does are taboo.

It's not taboo, in my opinion anyway...it's just a personal choice. I don't shoot one either typically, maybe I just don't like to have to yell at the fawns scare them off when I find thier mother. Must be gettin soft. But where I hunt there are alot of 1-1/2 does without fawns.

I came home empty handed.. But not for lack of seeing deer.. saturday morning I had a doe and 2 fawns, all in range for quite some time. I choose not to take the doe as one fawn still had spots. I have plenty of time. Saturday evening sat in the rain.. had 3 come through very early, all in range, but none gave up a shot. 1 buck out of range, and then 2 more doe snuck in behind me and winded me as shooting light left.. a bee sting to the left leg left me unable to climb a tree sunday(today)... (left leg is swolen up something ugly.)

No deer harvested, but plenty of fun had in the woods.

Wanderer,

In Wisconsin Fall turkey goes from Sept. 13th to Nov 20th. SO it works out perfectly if you are willing to hit a turkey with your bow

cool Nice to have that long to take one! Good luck!

Two shots/cork/bottle... smirk There's better jokes for this site. - me thinks.

I'm sure most of you get to the Deer/Bear, etc. forum, but if you don't, lcornice posted some good info regarding the survival rate of those orphaned fawns.

A little too cold for me to take out the mamma this early too. One more month at this age is alot. But that's just me.