• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer/Hitch put on - Or buy a truck?

TiNK3R

I'm going to be buying an Otter lodge and it wont fit into any of my cars. (Just barley ><)

How much would it be to have a hitch put on my car (i assume they would have to weld one to my frame) and buying a trailer? Would it be cheaper to just buy a junker like an s10 and use that?

Thanks!

if your car can handle it, go with the hitch. they are made for pretty much any car. the junker is a good idea, just remember the extras that will go along with it, maintainance, gas, insurance. I'd say a trailer is a much better option, and more versatile, imo

What kind of car do you have? I have an '01 chevy impala that pulled a little 15 foot aluminum boat quite nicely before I got my truck. I paid around a couple hundred for the hitch, and they even installed it for that.

I got the "hidden hitch". It's barely noticeable. You can find pics of them all over the web, just search for them.

Quick image search on google yielded this result from someone with one on an accord:

img3087li0.jpg

How much would a cheap and small trailer run me? All I need it to do is carry my portable and auger pretty much. Where would I go to find one?

I'd say that you should be able to get a nice little trailer for well under a grand, possibly a couple hundred dollars if you keep your eye out for used trailers. for example. I have a 5 X 8 trailer that is light enough to pull with a car, I use it for my wheeler. I got it for free, it had a bad bed, so I spent about $100 on lumber to fix it up.

A small cheap utility trailer can be gotten at lowes or home depot for around $800. A better trailer such as a Big Tex will run around $1k or so depending on size and GVW. A trailer comes in handy A LOT. I have two pups and still use my 6kgvw trailer quite a bit.

While the option of the trailer is a good one, and you can never go wrong having that hitch plus a trailer you can use for other things....

Chances are you are still going to have to drag the sled around when you get to the lake.

A small beater 4x4 might be the best option, at a greater cost though.

While the option of the trailer is a good one, and you can never go wrong having that hitch plus a trailer you can use for other things....

Chances are you are still going to have to drag the sled around when you get to the lake.

Let me restate that, at a MUCH greater cost. grin

You can find a beater 4x4 for under 2500, but like stated, the best option is to get a trailer and if you don't want to drag the house, get a trailer + snowmobile smile

I had found a nice utility trailer for $150 off of Craig's List a couple of years ago. Look around on there, you can find some things that will work. A car and a trailer will get you to and from the the lake, but probably won't do well on the lake.

I bought a used trailer at an auction nearly 30 years ago, and I still use it. If you buy a beater pickup truck, you'll likely have to replace it in a few years. The maintenance and insurance on a trailer is so much less than on another truck. In 30 years I've only had to replace the bearings, tires, and lights on my trailer.

As others have mentioned, a trailer is so handy. Even if I had a truck, there would be times when I'd use the trailer behind the truck.