• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What slugs to try in my sons rifled shotgun barrel

lakevet

Hello all,

My 11 yr old is going to use his youth 20 gauge for deer this year. Got him a rifled barrel with open sights. He is an excellent shot with open sights on the .22. Too many things go wrong with scopes for a kid, especialy bad weather (snow, water, and bumping scope) and close range(under 10 yds nothing but hair in the scope). Any thoughts on using the older style slugs? The gunshop suggested to do that. Going to try a variety of slugs looking for accuracy out to 75 yds and am looking for any thoughts/advice especially if you feed you rifled barel older style slugs. Lower recoil is a big plus.

Take your kids deer hunting and let 'em use your tag!

Lakevet

I'm not sure what you mean by older style slugs. Don't use slugs that aren't for rifled barrels. You could wreck the rifling. I'd buy a box of Win partition golds, Hornaday SST, Remington Copper Solids,Brennekes, and Federal Vital Shocks, that say FOR RIFLED BARRELS ONLY. Then 'd see what shoots the best. It might be costly at first, but once you have it down, two boxes a year should be enough. I truly hope your gunshop didn't suggest the plain slugs.

I've been shooting 20ga sabots for a few years. I've used Rem copper solids, win partition golds, and now use the hornadys, all quality ammo. I like the hornady's the best. I shoot 2 3/4" shells and they still kick at least as hard as my .270. I would definitely try to use a recoil reducing rest/sled to sight it in, otherwise you son might get the dreaded "Flinch". They might make lower recoil options though, I'm not sure.

Good luck, hope he gets one!

I love the hornady sst's Sabots at a reasonable price that make a true beanfield rifle out of the right slug gun. They will outperform any shooter on an open sight gun. To take full advantage of the range potential a fixed scope is the ticket. Hans

96 trigger,

The gunshop I purchased the rifled barrel at has a good reputation and also supplies the law enforcement in the area. They told me slugs such as the federal tru-ball and slugs for smooth barrels could be shot thru a rifled barrel. Not as accurate as sabots etc. but less recoil and you get better accuracy than putting them thru a smooth barrel. No effect on the barrel. If you know something definite that they don't please let me know. I also am contacting the manufacturer.

Take a 10 or 11 yr old deer hunting and let 'em use your tag!

Thanks,

Lakevet

lakevet, I did some searching on the topic. It isn't dangerous to shoot the old standard slugs out of a rifled barrel, however, you DO run a risk of fouling the rifling. If you intend on shooting sabot slugs later on, it could adversely effect the accuracy of the barrel. If you don't, by all means, shoot away. Didn't mean to alarm you, but I wouldn't want to wreck the rifling in a perfectly good rifled barrel.

As for recoil, your shooting slugs, they all kick. Good call on the manufacturer, let me know what they say, I'm interested to get their take on it.

Lightfield are good slugs for a kid as they do kick less and my brother has shot many deer with them. Personally do not shoot foster style slugs in the rifled barrel because you will wreck it. It would be a shame to wreck a good barrel and not be able to shoot sabots well later. You will also loose a pattern in the barrel just shooting foster style slugs cause you will fill in the rifling and then foster style will not shoot well. It only takes about 50 slugs to do that. A friend of mine found out the hard way.

Just a FYI.

Froggy

Thanks for the input. Remington said that use of rifled slugs for smoothbores very quickly deposits alot of lead buildup in rifled barrels. This can be removed with aggressive cleaning. More importantly, this lead buildup can lead to enough constriction in the barrel creating an overpressure situation.

Gave the smooth barrel slugs to my niece to use in her smoothbore and ordered the managed recoil buckhammer slugs for rifled barrels.

Again much appreciate the input. Have a great hunt!

Lakevet