• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimbaits

Pherris

I've used them a little bit this year, mostly the pre-rigged 4" version of storm wildeye baits. I have caught a few fish on them, but I don't know if I've really given them a fair shake. I've only used them on weedline breaks that are two deep for burning a spinner bait and to weed-choked for a crank and even in that case I generally go with a jigworm or texas rigged worm, but I definately think they have there place.

I bought into the hype and got some this spring. I didnt catch much to speak about on them and had all but abandoned them until about a month ago. Ive been doing quite well on them recently and have built up a fair amount of confidence in them.

Ive found the money minnows to work best for me. I throw them on the hooks made by yum for the money minnow.

I got into the Lake fork Magic shad line of swimbaits and earlier this spring got into some fantastic fishing. One major problem with them though is that they are sooo soft that they tear easly and you cand loose them on your first fish. The fact that they are so easy to loose and their cost being a bit steep makes them hard to use all the time. They do have their place though. Once I found out how effective they can be I limited my use of them to only league events.

I had my best luck on the 5" Yamamoto swimbait with Owner Ultrahead in 1/2 and 3/4 oz. They just got crushed this summer in deep water. Have tried to find the Berkley Swim Shads but no luck locally (as alternative to Yamamoto). Have caught some fish on Money Minnows but not nearly as many as I expected to give the action.

I used the Castaic Jerky J 3.5" Swims (the bait Deitz was Mentioning) THese baits are now out in the US, and this winter they will be out in Larger versions as well. Last year I was big on the Berkly Swim Shads (Daze Off, I found them at Bass Pro and Reeds)

Dang it! I was at Reed's in Walker and they knew nothing about them and I could not find them - shoot! Maybe they were already out of them as this was in August.

As for Bass Pro I guess I have to check my catalog closer....

Thanks for the tips!