• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crestliner hook in the hull?

Dan L

I have an 1850 Fishhawk and there seems to be quite a bit of hook in the back 4 feet of the hull. At what point is there too much hook in a hull? I have never been real happy with the performance of this boat and I have tried many props. Has anyone here had a hook problem in their hull fixed and what were the results? Was it worth the time to have the factory fix it? Thanks

What exactly are you experiencing? Bow plowing water, leaning over while running? I guess first thing is to verify that your problem is from a hook. At what point should it be fixed, sounds like your at that point. First you'll need to figure out what caused it. Could have been from the trailer. Bunks too short or not enough support at the transom. Rollers not aligned correctly with not enough support at the transom. For cost and how to go about making the correction, I'd contact Steve Bakken

Hey Dan,

I have the same problem with my 1850, it seems to have a big hook in the hull and I can never lift the front end. It seems to plow all the time, even when it had a 175 on the back. I tried different props and the only time it seem to run right was if I had all the people, coolers, batteries in the back of the boat. I have thought about taking it down to crestliner this fall.

A hook is when you look at the hull from the side (on edge with the "flat" planing surfaces) it has a bow to it - the back is lower than the middle. By design this should be straight. You can check by using a long carpenters level or some other straight edge. It should make contact everywhere. It can be caused by not having the right trailor (enough support or support in the right places) or by a manufacturer defect - they just come from the factory with a hook. The performance of a hull with a hook is not good - basically you will have a difficult time planing and maintaining plane. Basically - it is no good. Paul

If you take a straightedge to it and notice what PTocko has described, I'd take it to the Crestliner dealer and get a case going with them. I have heard of them fixing them in the past (Crestliner themself) and with Fall and Winter fast approaching now would be the time to do it.

marine_man