• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Latest build

Finished up this rod for my cousin last week. 8ft 6in 4 wt 3 piece flyrod. Built the handle myself out of a mixture of cork, burl cork, composit rubber/cork, and craft foam. Turned it on the lathe to fit his bigger hands and handle preference. A simple orange, blue, and lite blue diamond wrap. Final weight was 3.2 ounces. And he was more than estatic!!!

Heres the handle, I would have liked to have used a better grade cork with less imperfections but he wanted a more "used" look...

p9032170dw0.jpg

Butt wrap before applying finish...

p9032171nf9.jpg

Finished diamond; funny , you think the threads are packed real well then you take a macro picture and "mistakes" show up real well, lol...

p9042190xc7.jpg

I used lightweight single foot guides...

p9042184rv8.jpg

Very nice work. I believe you achieved look with handle. Is the burl cork easy to work with??? I have not yet ventured into using that stuff, but I really like what I've seen done with it. Again, very nice!

Very nice work Dark Cloud!! Colors contrast nice and everything looks straight and tight.

I bought some burl cork and have it sitting on the work bench, but have not had a chance to try it yet. I have some birch bark and the composite cork that I think I am going to try here in a little bit. Have to see what happens when the time comes.

I have 2 virgin blanks and 1 in progress, so with summer gone maybe I can get my butt back down in the work shop and get something done. But fall is when fishing picks up, gotta get my self motivated a little wink

Thanks all. It was a fun build as I knew how much my cousin would enjoy and appreciate it. Plus handle was a new adventure...

The burl cork was nice to work with. It actually turned smoother and easier than regular cork. With the riseing cost of cork I believe your gonna see more burl and composit stuff on the market. I'd like to see a product that had the light color of cork. Good cork is outrageous and there is no universal gradeing system, so one mans flor grade is anothers economy grade...

As far as a good time to build? There never seems to be a good season. Salmon and steelhead are starting to move into the rivers, archery season is almost here, and the fall walleye bite takes us almost to first ice. Its that darn "work" thing that messes everything up!

Need and want are 2 distinctly separate things wink

Exactly!!!

Do I need 7 flyrods with plans on building 2 more? Do I need 20some ice rods with 3 more on the way...

What gets scary is when you start stockpileing blanks for furture builds cuz they are a "good deal" crazy

Im saying that. I really sometimes have a hard time understanding why I have the rods I do. Its not like they go up in value but they are nice.

I do plan building a few more new ones this winter I just need to figure out what I really don't need. Maybe a family member could use one too. It is