• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

That is highly questionable. I've never heard of that and I'd be hard-pressed to believe it.

Only way I'd believe it is if I got it in writing signed by a member of the DNR's law enforcement division. Until then, I'm sticking with 3!

if ya dont kill on your second shot then 3,4,5 are not going to be kill shots either! I would have to see it in writing and have the warden to tell me to use five shells I'm with eye on this one.

Where's this loophole. This must be an error this year only. I'm pretty sure if your hunting any migratory waterfowl you need a plug?

This must be what they are refering to as the loophole:

-During youth waterfowl day or during the regular waterfowl season with a shotgun that can hold more than three shells, unless you plug it with a one piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.

From what i have read, the feds changed some wording in their statuetes. The DNR failed to notice in time so decided not to put in a new rule this year. I have seen an email from a reputable source that was from the DNR on another message board that said it is legit. So go ahead, unplug your gun, till the 15th. Will be the only year you can as the rule will be changed next year.

it is nothing you're gonna find in the state regs...the state didn't advertise it because they felt it would confuse too many hunters and they were worried that guys would forget to put their plugs back in for the regular season. E-callers are also allowed although I feel their use for canada geese is limited at best. I trust my sources and am too lazy to look up and provide a link to a printable version to bring afield.

Today I had my plug out but forgot to take a 4th shot on both flocks I shot into. Old habits die hard. Didn't matter much anyways because shooting out of layouts you're lucky to get 3 good shots at them.

Found the loophole:

Cited goose hunters get reprieve

by Doug Smith, Star Tribune

Unbeknownst to Minnesota hunters and state officials, a change in federal law unintentionally lifted restrictions on the use of unplugged shotguns and electronic calls during part of Minnesota's September Canada goose hunting seasons the past three years.

About 50 Minnesota hunters who were cited by state conservation officers for violations in 2006 and 2007 will have their records expunged and their fines returned. Those fines averaged about $130.

Federal officials are moving to close the loophole, which existed again this year in Minnesota from the Sept. 6 early-season goose opener through Sept. 15.

The change potentially affects 40 other states besides Minnesota. But a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service law enforcement agent in St. Paul said the issue is one of interpretation of the law, and at this time there are no plans to expunge records or issue refunds to hunters who received citations from federal officers.

State officials said they discovered this spring that, since 2006, there essentially was nothing preventing hunters from using shotguns that hold more than three shotgun shells or from using electronic calls from Sept. 1-15. Those methods remained illegal in Minnesota after Sept. 15. (This year's September Canada goose season closes Sept. 22.)

Everyone -- hunters, enforcement officers and the courts -- were under the assumption those methods were illegal all along, as they are during the regular waterfowl hunting seasons.

The state Department of Natural Resources plans to contact about 53 hunters who were cited for hunting with unplugged guns during the 2006 and 2007 September goose seasons. Only one hunter was cited for using electronic calls during that time.

"Our goal is to get those records expunged and get those fines refunded," said Pat Watts, DNR policy and legal analyst. The DNR has records of all of those improperly cited, she said.

Watts said she's never encountered such a situation before.

Here's what happened: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published changes to regulations in August 2006 that gave states authority to allow unplugged shotguns and electronic calls for September Canada goose hunts. But Watts said the change inadvertently removed the legal restrictions from Sept. 1-15.

The Fish and Wildlife Service now is clarifying that the use of unplugged shotguns and electronic calls are illegal during the September Canada goose hunts unless states decide to offer those methods.

Watts said Minnesota likely will continue to prohibit those uses.

You buddy is luck he didn't get a ticket. This WAS in effect until the 15th of Sept. "State officials said they discovered this spring that, since 2006, there essentially was nothing preventing hunters from using shotguns that hold more than three shotgun shells or from using electronic calls from Sept. 1-15. Those methods remained illegal in Minnesota after Sept. 15. (This year's September Canada goose season closes Sept. 22.)"