• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

90hp outboards

fishorgolf

I was up at Lac Suel this year and something rally jumped out at me. Boy there are allot of 90hp outboards out there. I would have to say at least 1/2 the boats I saw had 90's After coming back I started to notice there are allot of 90's everywhere! Maybe someone in the outboard "business" can confirm that this is THAT popular of and engine or am I mistaken?

I've owned two boats with 90hp outboards now, and I think it's a combination of things that make them so popular.

I have a 2002 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 with a 90ph Yamaha 2 stroke on the back with a 15pitch prop and it performs very well. It'll get on plane instantly and will top out at 36-37mph @ 5500 RPMs with a full load going fishing.

1st in my opinion why you see a lot of them is performance...a 90hp outboard won't push a boat at breakneck speeds across a lake, but on most boats, say 16-17 foot models, it's good for a speed in the mid to upper 30's, even low 40's if the boats light and or propped for it. Of course different models, props, 2/4 stroke, etc will sway one way or another a little.

2nd I would say is the price factor...I myself for instance cannot afford a boat with a big outboard on it. The upfront costs of a new high HP outboard are way to high for me, plus the gas they use would drain my pocket book quicker each time out too. My 3 cylinder 90hp is lightweight and yea it does burn through a tank of gas quick enough, but I can assure you it's nothing compared to a 200hp outboard.

3rd...as far as I know they are a dependable motor in most cases at that HP, why I don't know, but I think or feel they are anyways...(JUST MY OPINION)

I would say the 90hp and 115hp models are the most popular motors by far, again for the simple reasons I mentioned.

Right or wrong...there's my opinion!!!

A lot of 16 foot aluminums are maxed out at 90. I've got a 16' Alumacraft with a 90 4 stroke Johnson and that's max for that boat and I'm happy with the performance. I still want to do a little tweaking with different props but it's a nice combo. Big enough for the bigger lakes but light and small enough to get it in and out of smaller lakes.

I have a 1998 90hp 2-stroke Merc. It is very fast and has a ton of power but it idles like [PoorWordUsage]. Very rough and even dies sometimes. Had it in to get "adjusted" this spring and I think the only thing they adjusted was my wallet. Very cold blooded when trying to start. But yeah you do see alot of 90hps because a lot of people in MN and the upper midwest fish the same type of lakes that a 16-17ft boat is perfect for. 90's are popular for that sized boat.

A 90 hp mercury is cold blooded.. just the way they are.

I presume you're priming the bulb and choking it until it starts - I like to tap the choke before it cuts out when it's warming up...

If it still idles poorly your carb synch could be off, or your carbs could use a cleaning...

marine_man