• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Ice Fish Without A Shelter/Shanty?

blodngoods

First year I would not buy a portable shelter since money is a concern. Buy a flasher instead and pick your days. If you hate ice fishing it will be easy to sell the flasher. Biggest thing to look at in the weather is WIND. If you can find some river backwaters or lagoons that are out of the wind you will be fine. Some boot chains are worth it from the start though. Eat before you go out.

The first year I started I had a hand auger, pole, a little tackle, and a bucket!

The second year I bought a shelter and a heater.

Its just snowballed from there!! grin

Ditto for me except I bought a power auger the first year.

I came up the same way, it all started with just the bare nessesities, a rod, some tackle and a bucket. Well then I contracted EGD. I didn't really notice the warning signs at first. I soon owned multiple rods & tackle, then came the portable shanty then another. That wasn't enough... then I had to build a permanant shelter. My EGD was out of control by then, my wife was really concerened and was contiplating an intervention. Well she should have acted because then I bought sleds to drive out to the fishhouse and then came everything associated with towing portables! I really thought I had everything and then they came out with the SnoBear!

My EGD (Excessive Gear Disorder) is still out of control!

Does anyone know of a cure? I heard from a buddy of mine that a nasty divorce cured his EGD... grin

I agree on the Pack Shack. I have one and it would work pretty well for pretty cheap for what you are describing. You can haul it on your back or throw it in a sled. If you are "hole-hopping" then just use it as a chair. If it gets really cold, then you flip it over and it at least keeps out the wind.

Too bad you didn't pick one up last year. You could have got one for $30.

A smale sled, a Clam chair, and a 7" hand auger will serve you well for well under $125

FEATURES:

• Folding Chair Converts into a Gear Bag and Rod Case

• Padded Seat with Four Contact Points (legs) for Balance

• Built-in Fish Bag

• Stores & Protects 6 Rod & Reel Combos

• 2 Easy Access Rod & Reel Scabbards

• 2 LONG Accessory Compartments: Tipup Length!

• Exterior Mesh Storage Pouch

• 2 MEDIUM Accessory Compartments: Tackle Boxes & Bait

Weighs only 12 Pounds

You will have rod storage plus room for all the ice gear you will ever need in a trunk sized lightweight package. The clam chair alone may do it for you, and a hand auger?

If not too cold or windy, I prefer to fish out side hole hopping. I have a small sled that has high sides, fits everything, and has a cover to keep any gear from falling out. I think I paid around $60 for both.

As Dtro implied ... one of the keys for doing this is to get a decent ice fishing suit. They really keep you warm and the padded water proof knees make them a must. There is a lot of options, Vexilar sells bibs & jacket sperately and are reasonably priced. If you already have a decent winter coat, you can save some money by just buying the Vex Bibs ($80) Unless it is really cold out, I normally don't wear the jacket anyways (just a hoodie).

Also, make sure you have some very good boots that are water proof.

jwhjr -- I am in cottage grove too, if you ever want to hook up be more then willing to go out, be nice to meet more people in the area with the same addiction

I'm always up for going out and hopefully learning something new. Hopefully we'll be able to coordinate something.

last year after i bought my fl20 vex i didnt set my house up once mobility is the key learned that on here by the way smile

Love the FL20's screen - snow does not collect on it on snowy days on the open ice. The night mode is also a great unique feature, much easier on the eyes at night.

Boot chains are a great inexpensive investment and you are a lot more stabil on the ice. Don't forget a $3 pair of ice picks to put around your neck just incase you fall in.

agreed on the ice picks. They're well worth the investment in piece on mind alone. PLus, the cost of the picks is a lot smaller than the cost of a search and rescue effort.

The wind is the biggest issue. It's nice to jump in the portable and get out of the wind for a few moments. The shelter will also keep your holes open for the most part when you're on top of them. I use a Fish Trap Pro and it's perfect for hole hoping and still being inside. I do a lot of both. Get a one man if you want to hole hop. If you want to set up, get a two man.

Get Artic Armor-----Im 60 and sat out at least 20 days last year in everything from 25 degrees to -5 with a howling wind-----hands getting cold was the only thing stopping me----a side benefit, you will float if you go thru----bought from walleye dan in Baxter 2 years ago before the Extravaganza----best money I ever spent.