• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newcastle disease

Here's a copy of an email I just recieved from a professor at U of M Crookston after we went duck banding at Agassiz NWR last week. eek

"All,

I just received a somewhat vague report from Agassiz NWR that at least on bird from Agassiz has tested positive for Newcastle Disease. If the bird has it, the water likely contains the virus, which means it is possible that anyone who was on the duck banding trip was exposed to a duck with Newcastle Disease. All future school group duck banding has been canceled as a result. This is not likely to be a large human health concern but is very contagious among birds. Everyone should be aware that the virus could be transmitted on your boots or clothing to another site. If you owned a poultry farm and go home for the weekend; that could be very, very bad. Please take a few moments to disinfect any clothing you had with you on the trip (remember your hat!). I believe that washing in hot, soapy water is sufficient to isolate the virus.

FYI, you may have heard about this on the news as the disease that is killing scores of double-crested cormorants and American white pelicans."