• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Size of Baits

bassNspear

Larger profiled baits like J-n-p, creature baits, and 10 inch worms. larger minus ones rather than the baby minus ones.... etc. As bait fish grow that were born in spring it makes sense to up size just as the cooler temps trigger a feed NOW behavior in fish and what fish wouldn't want a big meal when they are hungry rather than a snack...

It depends on the body of water.

On some lakes the 10 inch worms and large spinnerbaits are key. I've been doing well with large baits on large weed flats that drop off to deeper water.

But on the small pond behind my house little 2-3 inch grubs are the best. I fish the little lake from shore and in the gin clear water I can see all the yearling bass from this spring and they are only 2-3 inches long. Naturally, a green/black twistertail is killing them.

It all depends on the lake and what the baitfish are. Kinda like it always is, right place at the right time...

I generally hold off on the bigger baits untill after turnover. Once the water stabilizes around 55 degrees that's my queue to start slow rolling spinner baits and coming back through with ten inch worms an #12/14 huskyjerks

i was just reading through kvd's book and he said nothing much about upsizing in the fall but in the spring is when he throws big baits that is when the young of last year are at there biggest, however he says he only does this until the post spawn is over them there is a lot of fry around and down sizes. Just a thought from the games greatest.