Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Size of Baits

15 posts in this topic

Asa the year is comign to a end, and the weather has been staying colder for the last few weeks.

When you guys are fishing deep or fishing docks, are you going to bigger baits or smaller baits right now?

Its really going to depend on the weather pattern for me.. but as the fall gets going I start to upsize...

Larger profiled baits like J-n-p, creature baits, and 10 inch worms. larger minus ones rather than the baby minus ones.... etc. As bait fish grow that were born in spring it makes sense to up size just as the cooler temps trigger a feed NOW behavior in fish and what fish wouldn't want a big meal when they are hungry rather than a snack...

Jason,

I was throwing those big Mister Twister B-A-Hawgs over the weekend and catching some really nice fish and little guys too. I wouldn't even touch a bait that big in July.

that what i was thinking Ray. That was the first bait that came to mind. I have had some good luck with them.

Are you texas rigging it?

Thanks for the information Cecil.

It depends on the body of water.

On some lakes the 10 inch worms and large spinnerbaits are key. I've been doing well with large baits on large weed flats that drop off to deeper water.

But on the small pond behind my house little 2-3 inch grubs are the best. I fish the little lake from shore and in the gin clear water I can see all the yearling bass from this spring and they are only 2-3 inches long. Naturally, a green/black twistertail is killing them.

It all depends on the lake and what the baitfish are. Kinda like it always is, right place at the right time...

I generally hold off on the bigger baits untill after turnover. Once the water stabilizes around 55 degrees that's my queue to start slow rolling spinner baits and coming back through with ten inch worms an #12/14 huskyjerks

Right now the fish are looking to get the most out of their meals. By eating bigger now they spend less energy getting the meal, get fatter for winter, and everything that goes along with fall fishing.

i was just reading through kvd's book and he said nothing much about upsizing in the fall but in the spring is when he throws big baits that is when the young of last year are at there biggest, however he says he only does this until the post spawn is over them there is a lot of fry around and down sizes. Just a thought from the games greatest.