• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planning Winter Sled Trip

DTro

I’ve discussed with my wife a little about doing a little sled excursion sometime this winter. We are not huge into trail riding, but got a taste of it last year and really enjoyed it. We just have just the one 2UP sled that we will be riding.

Not sure if I’m ready to “head West” quite yet, but it is still an option.

Basically looking for a great area with above average scenery and good lodging, other than the Vermilion area as I’m up there all the time.

Places I was thinking.

North Shore

UP

Yellowstone

Suggestions?

I know nothing about Yellowstone, can't help there.

My vote would be the North Shore, and if you haven't ridden Voyageur's, give that a try too. Voyageur's has strict speed limits, so it's not the place for the wild speed seekers... Great scenery, peaceful riding and great trail system.

I wouldn't jump into the UP with your wife, unless you can time fresh snow, mid-week, and groomed trails. The trails get beat up quick and there are a lot of rough riders out that way, mainly on weekends.

My family and I have ridden in the UP, Wisconsin, and Northshore, as well as the IFalls area. Personally I think the North Shore is the best, because of scenery and lesser amounts of traffic than the UP, and is cheaper than buying a Wisconsin sticker. Silver Bay and north has about all one can ask for. Main Northshore trail and lot's of spur trails to explore. And the Gunflint is also a great place to ride.

Wisconsin is nice as well, Hurley, Bayport areas are beautiful too.

Gunflint trail hands down if you want to stay in MN. You can also chase some lakers around on the area lakes too. Great trails and lodges and even better scenery. I have heard good things about Voyagers too but never been up that way.

Dtro- North shore is awesome if you hit it right, so I would say planning something would be going when the snow & trails are good! My opinion on Yellowstone is it's so good that if go there you wont ever want to ride in MN again! Been there a couple times and if you go, just rent sleds, IMO It's not worth haulin your gear all the way there. One more thing, Yellowstone is not for flatlanders! even if you stay on the trails. We encountered hills on the trails that made my wifes stomach turn.

Well I can tell you my opinion on the North Shore and UP(Ironwood Area). Since I have never been out west.

I think the North Shore is alot better than the UP. Better scenery, better maintained trail, better trails, better signage, better places to stay, better places to stop and eat. The UP has alot of trails that are in the ditchs of roads where you dont get that feel of being out in the woods. North Shore trails rarely follow ditchs and alot of trails are in the way back woods. The trails around Silver Bay are awesome, theres some good over looks of the lake, and theres a trail called Geroge's Gorge its got some good hills in it with alot of cliffs and big hills. Michigan's UP trails get really bumpy fast even though they groom all the time. Theres no over looks of the lake, at least I dont know about them. And you have to buy a Michigan trail permit. The only good thing about the UP in my opinion is the snow, they get alot of it. I'd never go back to the UP unless Minnesota had NO snow.

If you have never gone out west you need to go at least ones in your life!!!! The Big Horn Wyoming is a great place to ride for everyone. You can do almost everything there beside climb big chutes!!!! The big horns has a really nice trail system and you can ride for days on it!!! It is really easy to find your way around out there with the free maps and all the information online before you go.

The biggest thing you have to worry about if you are think of going out west no matter where it is... Is lodging!!! If fill up really fast out there so you will need to plan your trip soon. The later you go the more snow there can be and it also can mean less risk of Avys!!!

You will also have to do some tuning (depending on your sleds) on your sleds before you can ride out there!!!

yup planning a trip to the black hills. and maybe even to the bighorns.

but if not i do alot of riding in northern mn you can find some good trails up there.

i hope i can but on 1000 miles or more this year last year i only put on 800 or so.

i have a 2003 xc 600 with 5800 miles

Dtro up mich is only 6 hours away to the snowbelt the locals call it. it just were all the lake effect snow gets dumped on.

But whitepine mich UP is your place. the trail leaves from the lodge on sled you can ride 10 mins to the shore of lake

Superior. or take a run down the highway like trails i mean wide trails fast and smooth for that 2up sled. to Lake Gogebic 13,000 acre lake full of fish just have to find them.

Porcupine Lodge, cheap rates, sanua, webcam, close gas station or 1 min away /bar/food/bowling/ alley Konteka Black Bear whitepine for relax time at night after putting on 300 miles

please dont erase the resorts.

I could go on and on about the UP you could do a back pack trip to Houghton to see copper harbor 1 day there 1 day back to white pine. dont need a whole day to do it i just take my time.

hope this helps i have been doing this trip for many years short drive way more snow than mn ect...I guess i was first there that day. :]heres a pic of the super highway i call it.sup.jpg

4 strokes are mandatory INSIDE the park where only tourists ride.

Hebgon Range and surrounding mountains are just like anywhere else. All sleds welcome.

Big Horns are good too! Lots of trails for flatlanders.

Awesome pictures guys...Really gets me pumped for snow!

I guess I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Lutsen directly anyway which would be perfect for you and the Wife being that you guys are somewhat new to the sport.

The Trail system is a hidden gem and while not huge is incredible for scenic views and well groomed trails the CLub "Lutsen Trail Breakers" does an outstanding job and the amenities close by can't be beat. If you wanted you literally can hop off your sled and be in the hot tub in 60 seconds. It would be perfect especially for the wife learning to drive without the fear of being run over by the Weekend crowds you will encounter on the North Shore State Trail and Gunflint trail system. You really don’t want over do the riding aspect the first big trip you take it will sour the wife on the sport if you are on the machine for too many miles.

It would be a perfect trip and if you wanted to branch out you could always hop on the North Shore State Trail and zoom up to Devils Track Lake for lunch and hit the Gunflint Trail system if you wanted to which like mentioned above is awesome.

4 1/2 drive and many cool places to stay from Trail side to Lake view lodging.

Gunflint would my 2nd choice its a bit farther drive but very nice also!

Great thoughts Pier!

I will look into that... and while I'm at it I just might convince her to strap on a pair of skis. I loved to ski when I was in high school, but it's not her cup of tea.

Also love the pics, giving me the itch.