• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for advice on decoys

I am going to give goose and duck hunting a try this fall. Lately, its all I can think about! Today I bought one dozen GreenHead Gear Pro Grade Canada shells. They were $130 at Scheels on sale. My question is: will this be enough decoys? We don't a ton of money to be spending on decoys right now. I want to get a couple of layout blinds within the next week. We have everything else, just the decoys are the problem. It will just be my husband and myself hunting. He used to waterfowl hunt alot, but hasn't for the past three years and doesn't have any decoys anymore. I duck hunted with him twice four years ago and absolutely loved it! All of our goose hunting will be on fields around our home here in Wisconsin. I also bought two dozen Greenhead Gear mallard floaters for $20 per dozen and a dozen Flambeau mallards for $30. Most duck hunting will be small bodies of water in swamps, rivers, etc. Bowhunting is our #1 passion, so if we get to duck/goose hunt a dozen times or so this fall we will be doing good, which is another reason I don't want to spend tons of money on this right now. The sales person at Scheels said its better to have one dozen good goose decoys than 3 dozen poor ones, which makes sense to me. So, should I try and get more goose decoys, or will my one dozen do? And will somebody please tell me I got a good deal on these today so I don't feel so guilty tonight when I go to bed!!!! Thanks for any advice.

sounds a bought right go to bed. I have had troble with the Flambeau floaters it's like the paint dosnt hold up to water. I like the green head hot buy's. the more decoys you have out the better get some call's with a CD to teach you how to call this will help a lot. good luck. RR

decoys are way overpriced on hsolist. too much profiteering on there. i would suggest, if you would like to add numbers to your spread but would like to save some money, search hsolist, or waterfowling forums' classifieds such as avery, nodak, minnesotawaterfowler, etc. for used decoys. more shells, silhouettes, fullbodies, they will all do the job effectively if everything else works right; i.e. conceilment, calling, getting the birds to work your spread.

You don't need layout blinds to hunt geese, go and buy some landscaping burlap and a couple of cheap shirts and make yourself a lighweight ghille suit of sorts and spend the extra money on either decoys or buying something for the land owner for permision.

I started with shells but have switched to full bodies. I would say to buy the best decoys you can afford. If you can return the shells, buy a dozen full bodies, and find used layout blinds, do it. Or skip the layout blinds if you have to.

A dozen full bodies for early season should be fine, especially if you are in the right field.

I hunted 7 years before I got a layout and to this day still hate hunting out of those things...early goose especially, you can do just as well just hunting field edges by sitting in standing corn or in tall grass or something.

As far as the decoys--if it were me I'd bring 'em back and pick up some RealGeese silos...easy to transport and they look good, plus they don't take up so much room in the garage. Mix in some Bigfoots but I'd stay away from the Avery disease if possible.

Glad to see a lady excited about duck / goose hunting...you're a fairly rare breed I believe.

go to any waterfowl site and you will find a pretty even split of guys who are obsessed with avery and guys who hate avery.

there are a multitude of reasons but most center on a few key principles:

1) the paint on a lot of their decoys falls off, rendering them useless

2) their stuff is made in china

3) their "prostaffers" are almost always complete tool boxes!

the end

3) their "prostaffers" are almost always complete tool boxes!

yup gotta go with bigfoots,DSD's and hardcores. some of them movie guys are gettin hot heads and think thier stuff is the best stuff I dont mind it tho becuase it makes my bigfoots look different then most other setups and the price helps to. advertising costs a lot and it shows on the price on the shelf!

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Everyone has their own opinions about whats the best. On Friday we FINALLY got our income tax return in the mail, so we got another dozen goose decoys, two layout blinds, and some new jackets. Can't wait to hunt some geese! Hopefully I can post some pics on here.