• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outside woodstove

bae501

Question

I am looking to purchase an outside woodstove/boiler, and am interested in anyone elses experiences with these. There are several brands all claiming to be better then the others. One guy said if you can change your oil you can install these yourself. Also any additional information that would be of assistants would be helpfull.

7 answers to this question

I too am in the process of getting ready to instal an outdoor boiler. I'm putting in a Heatmor myself, simply because I got a good deal on a used one. I have researched boilers for about 2 years now and I think you will find what I have and that everyone who sells them sells "the best one". It will all come down to personal preference and what you feel will work for you. I am up here in the far northern part of the state within 50 miles of Heatmor and Central Boiler, do I think either one is hands down the best..No. I guess from the researching I did, I felt like the Shaver Outdoor stove was one of the better ones I found. Good quality, reasonably priced and easy to install. I also like the fact that the Shaver has the domestic water coil built right in to the boiler to hook your water heater to, so there's no sidearm to install on the water heater. I believe there is a dealer in southern MN somewhere. Good Luck with whatever you choose. Any way you go you'll save money in the long run. On a side note propane was $2.30 here yesterday!!

We have an Empyre and we love it. Not sure if they still make them for home use, I read some where that they switched to just the larger factory type stoves now.

Anyhow, you'll love an outside wood stove, no mess and on the coldest days we only fill it twice a day, warmer days once is enough.

We have an Aquatherm here and we had one also at our old house so this is are 2nd Aquatherm. The only reason that we went with another Aquatherm, being we only live 25 miles from Heatmore, is you can build your own shelter for the stove, Then it matches all the surrounding buildings and we build ours large enough (10' x 14' x8' high) to stack wood inside for the week, also when it is raining or snowing outside we are standing inside loading the stove where we are warm and dry. As far as installing them, I have done 2 and you are correct that they are not to difficult to install. The guy that sold us are 1st one incouraged the home owner to do as much as possible themselves. Make sure you run a good antifreeze in the system, all pipe fittings I learned to use teflon tape and pipe dope toghether for a good seal.

Good luck on your choice.

I would have to throw in a vote for the Central Boiler. Got three of them at the same time between Dad, myself and a family friend. going on the 4th year of running them and they are awesome in my opinion.

Dad did most of the research on them (for a couple of years) and knowing how he researches everything else, if that's the one he says to go with, that's all I needed.

You contact is rather close to you up there on Sugar as the guy you'd be dealing with is Dwayne with Class Act Outdoor Furnaces out of Montrose (unless he moved). Did the majority of the install myself.

Main line runs in to my water heater, then to a plenum inserted in the furnace then out to the garage hanging heater, then back out.