• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why is it so hard for hunters to find land to hunt geese?

I live in the St. Michael area, and for 3 years now I have been pursuing land to hunt geese on. I have been extremely polite and asked many land owners for permission to hunt their land. I have always been told NO!!! I always say thank you and move onto the next spot. I have seen signs that say no goose hunting, don't even ask. Why is this??? Have most of these land owners had bad experiences? Do thye not like people that are not "locals?" I am just dumbfounded that it is such a challenge to find a spot to hunt geese, you would think with all the agricultural land in the area it would not be so hard.

There is most likely a great many reasons you are having a hard time. Others may already have gotten permission, the landowners are hunting it themselves, the landowners have had bad experiences with hunters in the past, the landowners don't like hunting.......this list could go on and on and on.

You are going about things the right way, tho. A knock on the door, a friendly smile, and a thank you may not be doing you any good this season, but eventually down the road it will.

jeepguy sorry to hear about your troubles finding land to hunt geese. but just about every farmer in the st.michael area is related to each other or have kids that hunt their land. i know exactly what you are going through. i live in monti and i knock on alot of doors threw out the season. i am just lucky cause i got along with alot of the farm kids that went to my school so i have a in on all their fields. i have been working on getting permission to alot of the fields in that area for about 7 years now and finaly i have gotten some of them. you just have to build a trust with them.

also their has been alot of land that has been getting leased by people who don't know how to waste some gas for scouting.

my best advise is keep knocking on doors and being nice. eventually you will get pemission.

good luck.

I think most, if not all, of the reasons have already been stated. It can be tough. But keep at it and don't give up if field hunting is your desire. Your approach is the right approach and hopefully some day you'll get permission.

Good luck!

I am glad someone understands my frustration. In the meantime I will stick to the public waters for hunting in the metro area. Although the competition for these areas is getting ridiculous. I hunt opener in the northern portion of our great state, but the one year I had to miss it becuase we were moving I drove past Pelican for the heck of it, what a spectacle. I would be afraid of getting rained on with steel shot from every direction.

Those that stated "All related" hit it square on the head. Another option would be to get a plat book, drive around and mark spots "hunted or not hunted" Then approach the owner about next year and it does not hurt to mention " I noticed you had a portion of your fence that needs some attention and I would be glad to mend it for you." Although next year seems like a long way off just think of waht you could secure for next year by turning some favors and a little work.