• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad Battery Charger / Battery ? Which is it?

walleyepro

Question

The two batteries are new this year Ever Start brand. The charger i've been using is also brand new this year. Schumacher SpeedCharge.

If I charge the battery to 100%, and minnkota is also showing 4 bars (full charge) the charge only lasts me about 2 hours running at speed 3/10. And the other battery which has depth finder/night lights/starter will be dead after 1.5 hours of running the lights and depth finder (trolling cranks night fishing).

It's an older boat (88 smokercraft) with probably original wiring for the lights, a 36lb thrust minnkota with autopilot 5-10 years old.

Did I just get two terrible batteries? Bad charger? What are your thoughts?

3 answers to this question

I had issues with a Schumacher charger this year. It kept putting on the red trouble light, so I thought I had a bad battery. The trouble was, the trouble light would come on for all 3 of my batteries and I knew that all 3 weren't bad at the same time. I checked the batteries with another charger and they were fine. The charger ended up being bad. I had it for about 3 yrs.

I can tell you from past experience that the ever start brand is horrible! I couldn't get a summer out of them. I know there cheap but there cheap. The original one I had came with the boat. That own failed bought a new one in the spring that one failed in the fall. I Purchased a different brand this spring and the difference is amazing!!