• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Musky fishing/NW Angle

Genofish

I have an oppertunity to go fishing at the NW Angle the last week of September. I have purchased a 6500 C3, 7" rod,leaders

jerk baits, bucktails and top waters. I am questioning if the

80lb Power Pro is a little too much or should i go to a 50lb.

Any other advice on Lures would be appreciated.

Definitely the 80 over the 50lb line, it's going to spool better, not bind, and not snap. Remember, more of the gear's attributes and strength measures are for the lures we cast, not the fish we catch.

Good luck!

I've used 80 lb Power Pro for years on that water. Good stuff Maynard.

I hope you're going with an experienced crew who have some hours in on that water.

It can be tough on lower units. smile

Lures, 10" Jakes, Superman color, Tequila Sunrise or something with orange. 10" Believers, Perch, $10 Bass, Jailbird. 10" Suick, black headed Perch, orange black spot.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good trip for sure!

Make sure the basics are covered as well: Good net, hook cutters, pliers, etc. It's as much for the fish's benefit as well as your hands, fingers, forearms, etc. Doctor's clinics are not easy to come across up that way.

NETin hits a great point with the cranks, either trolled or casting, it's a great presentation.

Go with the 80 pound power pro line I believe that the green stuff it doesn't hold as much water it could be a little cold in the mornings and you hands won't be as soak. where are you staying up there?

I have an oppertunity to go fishing at the NW Angle the last week of September. I have purchased a 6500 C3, 7" rod,leaders

jerk baits, bucktails and top waters. I am questioning if the

80lb Power Pro is a little too much or should i go to a 50lb.

Any other advice on Lures would be appreciated.

Wether you are trolling or Casting.....take those crankbaits and hammer them into the rocks, stepping down the structure until off. I love Believes for that because they have a natural tendency to backup and not get stuck. You will be surprised at how many hits will come after you drill the rocks and let the lure float up a bit. Great fall technique. If you are heading up towards Bishop, don't over look the day marker right there at the point, and of course you have to fish Toadstool. Just be careful going in there!!! There is a great rock reef in Portage bay as well. Just a million different spots in that area to hit and all are pretty darn good spots.

Musky 18. I am looking at the map now. When you refer to Toadstool is it the bay or point or both. I see Spruce Portage bay is this what you are refering to? And the day marker at Bishops, is this the one at the entrance to Bishops?

All depends on what your weather situation is when you get up there. I have caught them in Oct while snowing!! We have had better luck between 10-2ish as the sun comes out and warms things up a little bit. However, they will bite whenever you put a bait in front of them at the right time, so my best answer is ALWAYS!!!

There's a special map they have it at thorne brothers its the only map to get for up there I can't think of the name but its not a hot spots map is got the correct buoy markers on it its about 20 bucks.

Musky 18. I am looking at the map now. When you refer to Toadstool is it the bay or point or both. I see Spruce Portage bay is this what you are refering to? And the day marker at Bishops, is this the one at the entrance to Bishops?

I think what Blarkley is talking about is the Canadian Hydro Charts. They are absolutely the only way to go and along with a chip, you can pretty much run anywhere and feel good about it. During Operation Muskie, we fished up in the Big Narrows around midnight and made the run back down to Bay Store no problems!

Now to clarify....the Toadstool. The entire area to the west of Toadstool I is good, however, we usually concentrate on the rock reef that is directly east from the Red and Green bouy markers (M41 green, M46 Red). They are marked on the chart.

The Day Marker is right off of Bishop Point. Right on Bishop Point is the big lighted marker and directly to the west of that is the big panel day marker. There is a small island that sits right to the south of it.

Portage Bay is off of the NW corner of Bishop. You have to actually clip the corner of Outer Bay to get to the entrance to Portage. As you go up into Portage there is a rock reef before the narrow part of the entrance. Have never moved anything there, but always see people fishing it. After you get through the narrow and it opens back up, there is another rock reef that we have pulled quite a few muskies off of. Last time I fished it in Oct, we pulled a 45 off of it.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Just another note......if you don't have the Chart for this area of the lake, you will need chart number 6216.

Thanks to Bret and others for helping out!

geno: Regarding the fever.......at least you're going with all the right stuff and info, that really puts in a good position to get hooked up on a fish, and in turn hooked on muskie fishing.

Geno........one more of spot you have to hit on your way up to Bishop. Probably one of the most famous spots on the lake and one that gets hit quite a bit, but one you just can't pass up. When you get your map, just find Monkey Rocks and fish it all. TONS OF BIG FISH CAUGHT OFF THIS STRUCTURE!!!