• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookies

HugoBox

I'm taking to rookies out all day tomorrow. One has fished some but not for skis - I may have to teach the other one which way is up on the spinning reel I'm setting him up with. I'm going to get some medium suckers in case they don't want to cast a lot - that will still give them a chance at bass and pike. They do want a chance at 'skis though and I'm thinking the best bet is to keep one throwing a Topraider type bait and the other with a small to average bucktail. Any thoughts from those of you who've been done the same. Obviously if we move fish it will change things up a bit, but I want to give them the best shot at tangling with a toothy.

Sounds like a good gameplan to me. One thing I might mix in is a "Stange Rig". You know, the jig-n-plastic combo that Doug Stange likes so much - 1 oz bass jig w/ 6-8 inch shad body. These can be great becuase they don't tire you out as much as a bucktail, they stay weedless, and they can be fished several different ways.

Make 'em see what it's really like....hook 'em up with a Mag Dawg and let 'em sling one of those for a few hours!!

I think you're on the right track. An inline topwater is a good starter lure, easy to cast, retrieve, and still a legit chance at hooking up. Another option would be to slowly work a Believer back to the boat. Again, pretty easy to do and a good presentation.

I like cupper's idea too, I think that one should be considered by everyone. I know it make me think.....good call cupper!

Show them the 8 before you even cast once!!!

Casting will probably be hard enough for them. All straight retrieve lures. After a while let them toss a DC for the full experience!

I have done this before, and I cant emphisize it enough, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

I had done same. I let my buddy use the simplest reel n rod to use and a single showgirl. He say he liked it much n "upsize" to double showgirl n he liked it even more.. And he caught a nice avg size pike at nighttime.. O boy that only time I wish it was muskie!

Here's a second for the keep it simple.

Lots of times when I go fishing with my wife (I know she'll forgive me, but she is clueless) I give her the easiest rig to use and she outfishes me 80% of the time. It seems like fish know who doesn't have a clue and help them out.

Either way watch them when a 40+ incher just follows up to the boat! I remember the first time this happened to me and I just set the rod down and laid on the floor of the boat for about 10 minutes. I then got up and said to my Dad, "We're fishing for THOSE?"

Them were the days...

Let us know how it went with the rooks.

Things went well - the non-rookie boated a 42 and a 38. One rookie lost about a 45 near the boat - he felt bad, but when a fish that big leaves the water shaking her head there's not a ton you can do, especially if its the first time you've musky fished. The other rookie enjoyed the ride and knew how to use a baitcaster which was a surprise- no bad backlashes. Other than getting hit in the face with a heli-dawg, and a pretty good cut on my hand from a crabby fishin the net, I came out of it okay.

We also got to see a pretty cool thing. Parked at the landing waiting for a guy to show up I snapped on a homemade lure just to show one of the rooks its action and a mid 30's fish shot out of the hole made by the power loaders and took a swipe at it. The water was soooo shallow I actually pulled the lure out cause I didn't think it would make for a healthy release. The fish sat at boat side just haning out for about half a minute. We tried to get a picture but there was too much glare. We were in no more than 2 feet of water and a good 100 yards from anything deeper. It was cool to be able to have rookies see some action their first time out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

-erik

Sunday AM we saw what at first looked like a turtle's head, but it came higher out of the water.....it was a little muskie doing the pourpose deal, ended up with the head out of the water up to the gill plates. Almost looked like it was trying to swallow something down. Pretty cool to see, lasted almost a minute....

Erik: Nice job guiding......keep that up and I'll be asking you to take me out!