Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Wetteland

help with river fishing.

19 posts in this topic

I'm new. I would like to get some help with getting started cat fishing on the Mississippi. I have a 16ft boat with 25hp. I would like to know a good spot to start at or if I could go out with someone. thanks

Welcome Eric! Where are you fishing the Miss? This time of year things tend to slow as far as flatheads, but there is some good channel cat fishing to be had yet!

I live in Roseville. I think some place in the metro. I would like to fish for flatheads or get a feel for it so I will be ready next year. Channel cats would be ok to. Thanks for your reply.

eric, don't know what your schedule is today, but I'd be willing to help you out with a few spots on the mississippi on pool 2. send me an e-mail.

Welcome to FM Eric. There are a ton of catfish guys on here. They will give you some general locations. Hope you have some good luck.

Welcome to the forum....You could spend a month reading everything about cats on the forum and then add in the pool2 and others. It could get you addicted. grin

Look for large snags in the river near a deep hole. Either that or a eddy pool or a current seam. Underneath dams can be very good for cats as well. Wing dams are also a good place to start.

If nobody gives you a specific spot to start (lots of Catfish people are very secretive about their spots, I have found this out the hard way) then look for these types of things.

I'm new. I would like to get some help with getting started cat fishing on the Mississippi. I have a 16ft boat with 25hp. I would like to know a good spot to start at or if I could go out with someone. thanks

Hi Eric, welcome to FM/HSO.

As stated there is some great information that is posted here. Pull up a chair and a beverage and start reading. I would suggest starting at the Catfishing for Beginners thread that is stickied to the top.

When it comes to specific spots, you will be hard pressed to find any type of fisherman share that publicly online....not just Catfisherman.

Take some time, read a bunch of posts and if something doesn't make sense, ask specific questions. That is much easier to answer than the broad "how to catfish" question.

It sounds like you are set up with the boat and a some good spots to fish.

Again, welcome aboard you've come to the right place.

As far as the river, your boat is just about perfect for the river. Not too small and not too big. The Minnesota river which I fish a lot and the Mississippi are too very different bodies of water. Each have their own things in which to worry about to be safe.

A GPS is a very handy tool to have. If you don’t have a GPS I would suggest taking a look at some online maps such as Google maps to see where the river runs and which launches would suit you best.

I know you probably have several unknowns at this point, but the best way to learn is just get out there and take it slow. Be aware of your surroundings and if ever in doubt always yield to the bigger boat smile

Pool 2 is a great Cat fishery, but very intimidating to the beginner.

yes, however there are some launches that shoo you out at 10PM I think.

I'm not really familiar with all the launches down there, hopefully a couple of the Pool 2 guys can chime in.

A decent option is the 77 launch on the MN river and then go downstream to pool 2. You do need a park permit for this launch though.

Hidden Falls closes at 10:00pm. I've been told SSP closes. Some launch from Lilydale and say they haven't been locked in or ticketed, but I've never stayed late there. There is Watergate Marina you can launch out of for a fee. Most of the time if I'm headed to P2, we use the 77 launch that Dtro mentioned.

I have launched out of Lillydale many, many times over the 10 years or so. I launch later in the afternoon and stay out till 3-6am. I have never gotten a ticket, but this year while loading (about 4:00am) I was told by one park ranger the Parks closes at 11:00pm, also days after another member on here said they got a ticket while parking down at the ramp. I have been back down 4 times since then and was able to talk to a different park ranger that said he does not mind if trucks and trailers are in the parking lot and would try to spread the word to other park rangers.

I like Lillydale launch. Nice, big and clean! Same goes with the 35W launch on the MN River in Bloomington.

I think next season, I am going to talk to the St. Paul Parks department about getting a possible fishing permit for late night usage of the Lillydale launch, just to be safe. I heard you might be able to get one.

The only obstacle I have found when launching out of the Lillydale Launch is a dead head (log sticking out of the water) at about 11 o’clock across the river from the launch. It was out a foot or so a couple weeks back and maybe more now. It should have some paint marks on it from Boats I assume. It is right out of the main barge channel, but may have been hit by a barge now. Besides a couple other dead heads here and their close to shore, it is free running.

Good luck!

I never hear much about safety on the river on the forum and I would like to hear more of that since so many people read this with varying levels of experience. I don't have a boat but I would think it is good to keep in mind that you should stay far away from passing barges and never anchor stern only on a river. Isn't it better to hit a big wake in a little boat straight on? Keep a light on at night and watch for trees coming downstream.

Thanks for all the help it look like I will be launching out of Lillydale. It's close to my house.would any one like to go for my first time give me a email. ewetteland@yahoo.com. good day.

Eric, I'd be happy to head out with you. I sent you an e-mail back with my phone number. feel free to give me a call anytime.